No announcement yet.

HELP, busted flasher relay... got milk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP, busted flasher relay... got milk?

hello all,

i would like to thank those whom responded to my cry for help regarding the headlamp relay and reserve headlamp lighting system (headlamp did not work).
    (about two weeks ago.

Now it appears my flasher relay (controls signal light flashing) is busted.

I called the dealer and its a $75 special order.

Can anyone out there with a parts bike help a fella out a bit?

tim
    El Paso
    1981 XS1100SH
    XS1100SH 1981 23K

A quick search for flasher relay would have yielded you plenty to read, as well as looking thru the Tech Tips!

IF you don't mind loosing your self cancelling feature, just will have to remember to push directly straight in to the turn signal switch when you've finished your turn to turn them off, then go to your local auto store, get a $2 dollar 2 prong flasher and plug it into the harness, it'll plug in only 1 of two ways, and will work with one way, and won't damage anything the other way!

IF you want to spend a few more $ and perhaps be able to convert to LEDs later, then get an electronic or electro-mechanical 2 prong unit, same installation!

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

flasher relay

T.C.,

thanks for the response. Are you saying I can go into an auto parts store and buy any "2 prong flasher", and it will fit and work?

(my flasher relay has three prongs.)

i am weak on electronics.

thank you,

tim
      XS1100SH 1981 23K

Comment

Yes Tim,

I have the same machine, and when mine quit working, I put a thermal one on first. Then when I did my LED conversion, I used an electro-mechanical unit that doesn't rely on the amount of current draw to activate it. The thermal one does, but with standard bulbs, you are drawing about 5 amps worth of power thru the circuit when hitting your turn signals, that's why it has a 20 amp fuse in it!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham

Comment

I've used a 2-prong for several years now. Yes, it really does work, but you lose the auto-cancel feature of the original. I don't think I've ever used the auto cancel anyway. FWIW, Yamaha used the same flasher relay on some Virago models; if you happen to be in a boneyard and spot one, grab it.

As TC says, you can use the higher-priced flashers as well if you plan future turn light upgrades. Stock flasher works by heating/cooling and draws quite a bit of current by itself. The 'electronic' flashers work by charging/discharging a capacitor or using a timing circuit, far less power is used.

The XS - XJ bikes don't have much extra in the way of power output, and over the years corrosion at connectors saps even more power. For many people, finding ways to cut power consumption by flasher, turn, and running lights has become quite a hobbby in itself.

I suggest you look at and clean all the connections you can get to; electrical gramlins are frequent on all older Japanese bikes, including including the XS / XJ. Making sure grounds are good, connections are clean, and a couple new battery cables will give you a far more reliable bike, or at least provide a goot starting point for troubleshooting problems that might arise.
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.
          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

How does the auto cancel work? I have an '81 that I think is stock for the most part but I've been manually cancelling - I'll try it again tomorrow on my way to work and seeif it works without me turning it off.
            Si Parker
            '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

Sip,

The auto cancellor works by sensing how far you've driven, and after some distance will turn off the blinker. But I think it will also turn off if you turn it on too soon before you get to your turn, both a distance and time thing!? Been so long since I've had one to use!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham

Comment

I remember

course I use mine !

1/10th of a mile........

still the same one on mine from factory.
                Mark A. Guthrie TSgt USAF (ret)
                S&M Comp. Serv. Inc. V.P.
                1981 XS11SH XCaliber

Comment

From memory...

The auto-cancel uses two variables, time and distance. Can't remember which sensors are involved, would have to re-visit the manual and schematic diagram. Point is the auto-cancel won't turn your flashers off prematurely while you are sitting at a light, but will turn them off after a short distance while you are moving. On the XJ you can cancel the auto-cancel feature by hitting the turn signal switch a 2nd time within a couple seconds of each other, i.e. right-right or left-left on the switch within about 2 seconds defeats the auto-cancel function.

I rode so many older bikes that did not have auto-cancel that by habit I don't use it on the XJ. Also use the 2-prong heavy-duty type when I pull my small trailer, as I know the flasher unit will handle the additional load of another pair of lights. Have used the OEM flasher with the trailer and it works OK, just not sure of the long-term reliability of using the OEM flasher on long trailer pulling trips. FWIW, the 2-prong unit will fit nicely into the OEM flasher mount.

In any case, having a 2-prong flasher as a backup unit is a good idea. Some people have reported that the OEM flasher case can be carefully removed and the insides / contacts cleaned and this will bring the OEM unit back to life. I have not tried it myself, as my OEM unit is still working, but if you are the curious type and your OEM unit is dead, give it a try.
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.
                  "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Now I have to go and try it again. I was waiting after I turned but decided it wasn't working and hit the indicator switch in it's middle position - However there was a couple of times when I thought "Was that me? it looked like it might be going off anyway" I'll be sure and leave it alone this time and see if it works - the funny thing is I always remember to turn it off anyway so I'll probably not use it even if it does work.

Thanks for the info.
                    Si Parker
                    '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

Working...
                    X