midnight brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• midnight brakes

I am working on my midnight xs11 left front caliper locking up and I feel it’s in the hose. Put rear brake rear brakes and release front does not. First are there hoses available. Next
    Looks like the hose from rear master is part of front brake block. Can you change master and get rid of hose from rear master to front brakes thanks for any help
    Joe Bjordahl
    “speed don't kill it’s the sudden stops”
    Yamaha xs1100 are addictive
    1979 XS1100S
    1981 XS1100 MIDNIGHT
    1982 XS1100S DONER BIKE

I was under the impression that only the XJ's had the connected system?? Even then, I thought it was front MC connected to rear brakes?? Maybe you are dealing with some PO's mod.

Regardless,

New lines are still available, as are upgrades to stainless lines. But before you do that, have you cleaned the spooge hole in the MC that is locking up? This seems to be the primary cause for sticking brakes around here.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

i flushed out all line a master. not the front it is sticking new one on the way. i dont think if the front mc is sticking would make only one caliper stick
      Joe Bjordahl
      1979 XS1100S
      1981 XS1100 MIDNIGHT
      1982 XS1100S DONER BIKE

Comment

The rear master cylinder runs the rear caliper. It also feeds through a proportioning valve to run a front caliper. You might have some spooge in the proportioning valve that is preventing the pressure from coming off that front caliper when you let up the brake pedal. Because you did not mention it specifically, I still think you may not have cleared the pressure release orifice (spooge hole) in the rear master cylinder. Just flushing the lines and the MC will not clear this problem. You have to physically unblock it with a fine wire.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

You can convert the entire system to that of an XS if you use XS master cylinders on the front and rear. They must be swapped out to do the conversion.

Comment

i have a doner bike thats has caliper and master. i would like it oe but how do you bypass the oe. what about the line from rear master to front caliper
            Joe Bjordahl
            1979 XS1100S
            1981 XS1100 MIDNIGHT
            1982 XS1100S DONER BIKE

Comment

Hey Joe,

Where you goin' with that "grease" gun in your hand?!

Okay, like John said, you'll have to replace both front and rear MC's with those from XS's. You'll rip out the rear to front brake line. You'll use a single line for rear, and dual lines from the larger front MC to the front calipers, so both calipers are actuated from the front MC.

Trying to use the Rear OE MC for only the rear may cause problems if you cap off the front line. The rear is beefier to provide the extra fluid and pressure for both front and rear, so you would get too much to the rear, more chance for lockups. The OE front is possibly too small a diameter piston ie. 13mm vs. the OE 16mm, so it doesn't flow as much fluid, and could be problematic trying to drive both calipers off of it when it was designed to drive only 1, hence the need for replacing both MC's, and the respective lines.

I got a used MC for my front many years ago BEFORE I learned the difference in sizes and capacity. With the OE lines, the front was very spongy. After putting on SS lines, it is rock solid, and will work, so your front MC "MAY" work IF you put on SS lines, but most likely not well with the OE vinyl lines.
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Well I thought since is not working for crap. Disconnected line off mc and blow compressed air in the front bleed hole lots of crap out works great now thanks all. Still need to replace front mc cap broken and frozen. If the one from parts n more fits me am good thanks again all
                Joe Bjordahl
                1979 XS1100S
                1981 XS1100 MIDNIGHT
                1982 XS1100S DONER BIKE

Comment

Working...
                X