XS 1100 Carb Idle woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS 1100 Carb Idle woes

Cleaned the stock 82 xj carbs , floats set , eyeball sync .
    155 , 160, 150 ,150 compression .
    valve chain adjusted , one exaughst was .006 or .002 tight ...

I get it to idle around 900 1000 rpm hand on throttle to keep it running. If I set the idle speed screw up a tad to try to get it to run on its own, it will surge to 2500-3000rpm . It will calm down
    to and idle where it wil noty keep running on its own ....
    residual fuel ???
    I'm stuck now , but have not tried either at the carb boots yet
    or used a tool to sync ....

Its funny how it will idle smooth but not on its own , but will surge
    a bit....well not really funny....

I guess I need a kick in the seat of the pants!!Seems close!!
    oh , idle screw turned out 1 1/2...
    No filter on yet , cant get it to start unless I hold my hand over the carb throats...then it starts easy after that..
    Bob
    1979 XS1100 SPECIAL (under 18,000 miles Sold 5/12/2016
    1982 XJ1100 MAXIM(PARTS BIKE??)shows 14,000 miles ??? Up for sale whole or parts

It needs more than just an eyeball sync, but remember that with an XJ, you also need to use a YICS tool to isolate each carb for the sync. It also sounds like you might still have a blocked enrichener circuit orifice in the bottom of one or more of your float bowls. If these are blocked, putting your hand over the carb throat like you describe will help suck some fuel up the main jet to start, but that's not how it is supposed to work.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Everything will be off untill you put the airbox or filters on. I hope you are not running it without anything over the carbs. That is how one of my bikes burned before I got it. No flashback supression. Like I tell everyone else, get it synched with a vacuum gauge.
      United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
      If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
      "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
      "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
      Acta Non Verba

Comment

I'm on the xs1100sf , sorry should of said that, no yicks...
        Will put the airbox on etc..
        And sync.....
        Thanks guys !!
        Will post how it goes .....
        Bob
        1982 XJ1100 MAXIM(PARTS BIKE??)shows 14,000 miles ??? Up for sale whole or parts

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Talbot
          It also sounds like you might still have a blocked enrichener circuit orifice in the bottom of one or more of your float bowls. If these are blocked, putting your hand over the carb throat like you describe will help suck some fuel up the main jet to start, but that's not how it is supposed to work.
          I thought I cleaned those , but they are all plugged ...
          Have the bows in a can of carb cleaner !!Ah Ha !!
          Thanks
          Will post results ...
          Bob

Comment

You can use a thin strand of copper wire to clean out the enrichener jets, and that won't enlarge the holes in the jets.

Comment

Originally posted by John
              You can use a thin strand of copper wire to clean out the enrichener jets, and that won't enlarge the holes in the jets.
              I soaked them most of the day , two are free . threw them all back in for good measue . Will try to find some stranded electrical wire from reading your tip ...Thanks !

Bob

Comment

another thing that works well for the small holes and passages is a welding tip cleaner. You have to be careful though as you can take some metal out with them.
                '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

They are finally unpluged ....must be clean as carb cleaner goes in my eye now , LOL...
                  Waiting on another valve cover gasket , will use yamabond next one!! Might try to make one...Looks tricky .

Bob

Comment

I made one for the clutch cover. After that, I'll just buy a valve cover, thanks
                    '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

You can use a bead of RTV to seal the clutch cover. I did that to one a few years ago and it does not leak a drop.
                      Last edited by skids; 04-12-2007, 08:19 AM.
                      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I did that the first 2 times I had it off. Then I pulled the oil pan to look for a nut that fell down in the case. When I saw how much rtv was on the strainer, I decided to go back to gasket and much less RTV.
                        '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Carb work update

Well ,
                          Put the valve cover on with yamabond and gasket .

Put the carbs airbox on ...

Tried the tube with trans fluid sync , it was touchy to get it to stay steady . A small adjustment on a sync screw would make the fluid go one way or the other . Got it pretty close .

Was not able to keep it at idle by itself still ...Played with the idle mix screws and was hard to tell what was hapening .
                          They are two turns out ....
                          Wonder how accurate the bikes tach is?? it conks out slightly less the 1000rpm...

I decided to take it for a ride to see what running under power was like . The muffler end fell off in the road after a few miles .
                          I saw that coming , the bracket was fatigued .It lasted less than I thought .....

It pulls good 4krpm and above . It was pretty smooth , but a 3k to 4k it would sputter a bit , not suprising with the open exaughst ...
                          Got it home pulled plug , #1 was black the other three looked slight white or clean . No glowing headers , but it does seem pretty hot ...
                          Will look at the #1 float and idle mix setting ...

Was a lot of fun and hope to get it right soon !!!
                          What a day ...
                          Bob

Comment

Fessing up

I intentionaly left out the part where I took off today , and the bike sputtered and died ......

petcock was off , whew . It made it a mile easy , LOL
                            Had it off putting the gas tank back on . Been running it with gas tank on a step ladder , long hose ...very out of the way to do the carb adjusting

Bob

Comment

Checked the actual gas level of carb #1, it Looked good . And # 4 was 1/2" low or so... Wierd ..Imagine 2 and three are low too.

Will yank em and straighten that out plus check the rest....Set them all before too...

Well notice the trick of the air breather removal is to yank out the battery ....

Onwards !! Cant believe the floats were that far off . I measured about an inch on all . One aftermarket float . Hmmm

Was fun ride so far , cant wait till its right !!

Comment

Working...
                              X