rebuilding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rebuilding

I am in the process of rebuilding a 78 xs 1100 . I need to get some engine parts..cam chain , rings, gaskets..ect. Where is best place to find the parts at a reasonable price ??

OK, I have a spare camchain, but I'm saving it for l8ter.
    DID used to have good stuff, will report on it when I get mine running (also a 78).

Check the main chain in the engine... seems like they made em too weak and they stretched. Mine did bout 1cm.

Check for 2nd gear trouble.
    Replace crankshaft oil seals. Try to get original gaskets for the middle drive, since their thickness dictates the position of the sprockets.

Check the nuts and bolts for rust and replace with stainless steel. Replace all screwdriver head stuff with allen or hex where you can, like fuel petcocks (the two on each side which hold it up) and TCI mounting screws. If they're not rusted in alredy. If the TCI works, don't tuch it, unless the screws come out nicely.

OK, don't know what condition your bike is in... mine sat partially dissasembled for 6 years.

Flush the oil cooler and everything you see with fresh oil and wash with degreaser (not the cooler, just the stuff you can wipe with dry cloth since degreaser leftover in the engine aint good news).

Gaskets... get the gasket paper and cut them out. Punch out the holes first, then cut around.
    Sets can be obtained on www.louis.de but they're in germany.
    The head gasket. Tha big one. Original is quite expencive, so take the old one to a guy who makes gaskets and he'll make u one for bout quarter price. Yep... the one with metal thingies around the pistons.

Pistons rings and stuff... the cheapest new thing is the 1200 kit.
    AFAIK bout 400 bucks.

Do a carb job. Replace petcock stuff. Brake hoses should be replaced every 5 years or so, but.... I guess nobody changed them.

etc etc etc...

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

I have found best place for parts is Zanotti's, make sure you tell them it is an internet order if you call. They offer a serious discount on internet orders for club members.

Zanotti Motors information:

Zanotti Motor Co. Inc.
      170 Pittsburgh Road
      Butler, Pa. 16001

OPEN M-W-F: 9:00 am - 8:00 pm,
      T-TH: 9:00am - 6:00pm,
      Sat: 9:00 am - 3:00 pm

TEL (724) 283-2777 FAX (724) 283-0383

E-mail: Zanmot@aol.com
      Web page: http://www.zanottimotor.com/
      Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Good source of parts

Parts sources
        Just a late add-on to the list.

Parts availability for XS11's is nearly zilch here in the UK.

Anything past an oil filter or copper exhaust gasket rings and the shops look at you like you've asked for something from a 1898 Triumph.

I had a few major engine parts needed a few years ago and got great service ordering over the internet from Bob Jones at Merriam cycles in Merriam, Kansas. I'm not associated with them in any way apart from being a satisfied customer. They know their XS's too - look them up at

http://www.merriamcycles.com

No idea how competitive the prices are tho'

Good luck with the rebuild - Graham
        XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
        Guzzi 850
        Z1000

Comment

Working...
        X