Tranny/Clutch help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny/Clutch help

Did some minor stuff to my xs1100g.When i let it warm up and try to go to first or second it grinds.I have resistance on the clutch.What should i be looking at/for?Had a new clutch put in friction disk only.should i be replacing the metal?
    1980 XS1100g

Clutch may not be fully disengaging.
    If the clutch is the only thing you were working on check the clutch throw setting. That's the setting that is done under the circular clutch cover. When you put it back together did you make sure the balls in the clutch throw mechanism stayed in their proper places? Did you re stack the disc's and steel plates in proper order. What else did you do that might affect clutch or trany operation?
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I think the repair manual has spec for the plates. It is good to give them a light sand and remove the glaze. Other than that, you should lay them down on a piece of glass or something really flat and check to make sure none of them are warped from heat.
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Got it fixed.The bike was idling at 2k rpm when warm.Got the idle down to 1k rpm can't seem to get it lower.Yes everything was put back together correctly it was done at the dealer.Now the front brake is locked up.Anyone now if the rotors can be turned?
        1980 XS1100g

Comment

Rotors have to be ground but some say they can be turned.
          OH and by the way ... just because the work was done by a dealer does not mean that it was put back together properly.
          My fist 1978 XS1100 was in perfect shape until I took it to the dealer for some simple work and got it back in what became a basket case.
          Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
          1978 XS500E
          1979 XS1100F Restored
          1980 XS1100 SG
          1981 Suzuki GS1100
          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

So your saying i should pull the clutch apart?or let it go since its working?I don't feel comfortable pulling it apart.Worry about the brakes now fist?2 people cannot push or pull it.I tried bleeding the brakes but that did not help any.So im think replacing/rebuilding calipers,rotors,pads.
            1980 XS1100g

Comment

NO ... I am not suggesting you pull the clutch apart if that issue has been sorted out. I am just saying in general ... to not assume that the shop is always right or does repairs correctly.
              were your brakes working properly the last time you had the bike? Get it on the main stand and find out if its the rear or front brakes that are locked. On main stand you should be able to move the rear wheel. If it moves then the front is where the brake issue is.
              Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
              1978 XS500E
              1979 XS1100F Restored
              1980 XS1100 SG
              1981 Suzuki GS1100
              1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Hey Nate,

From your inquiries it appears that you may not have read thru the tech tips, not just from the link in the yellow column, but from the MAIN FORUM PAGE, scrolling down to the tech tips, maintainance, repairs, mods, and misc! Also, doing searches in this tech discussion forum can yield you plenty of threads on a subject. Most have been discussed before! We like to help folks, but some times it gets tiring answering the same questions over and over!

Your locked up brakes are probably the Spooge hole in the master cylinder, but could also be Xsive crud in the calipers around the pistons.

The clutch is probably okay, and is a bit more delicate to work on, easy to break it when you're not experienced in wrenching.

Aside from the main throttle screw on the carbs, the pilot jet screws can also affect the idle, but the vacuum synch may also be off? Or the throttle lever may be hanging up on the intake boot clamps. Or not enough slack in the throttle cable to the hand control?

Hope this helps?
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                X