Headlight Diode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight Diode

I was looking at Mike`s XS the other day & I noticed he had a diode for the headlight,it looks like a better design & I was wondering if anyone has tryed it on an 1100 XS.Thanks
    I just love that XS of mine.

The diode from MikesXS should work as long as the polarity is correct. Note that the connectors only allow the diode to be biased in one direction.

Personally, I would just use the info on skids' home page to bypass both the headlight relay and the RLU. This would eliminate all 3 points of failure.

However, *IF* I was to take the time to find the diode in the 80-up harness, I think I'd just spend the few pennies at Radio Shack for a diode and heat shrink to make a replacement.

HERE is the thread where Ken Talbot found the mysterious diode. Note that it uses the same style connections as the diode from MikesXS.

Comment

Thanks for the imfo.I`ve had to change it once but the new one looks like it is getting hot or trying to melt after a couple weeks of riding.I`m checking to see if there are any problems with the wiring.I would like to keep the wiring original ,but might have to bypass.

Comment

no heat sink

the diode will run hot.
        still don't understand why Yamaha stopped using the Yellow wire from the generator to drive the headlight relay. all XS1100 generators are identical (only the XJ1100 is different) and all of the 78 thru 81 models have the yellow wire at the generator connector - its just left open on the 80-81 models. When the weather cooperates, I plan to: a.) test a 79F relay on my 81LH, and b.) use the yellow wire from the generator to drive the 81LH relay.

Comment

Great please post your results.I hope it works.This is the first XS that I`ve owned so I don`t know about the different componets on other models,but between my Clymers & this forum(that I have been reading like a madman)I`m learning alot of things.Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X