Expected fuel range?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expected fuel range?

My 79 standard has the normal 5.3 gallon US tank, and it goes on reserve at around 130 to 140 miles. Is this about right? And how much is available on the reserve?
    1979 XS11F Hazuki ('cause she's always trying to make me her slave.)

If I fill up when I first hit reserve, It takes 4.2 US gal. I usually get 150-157 miles on a tank. It makes a BIG diff. how much twisting of the throttle I do. Lots of twisting.... 130 per tank.
    79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
    79 SF parts bike.

Comment

130 to 140 is just about 38 MPG. You should be able to get another 20 miles on reserve. You may get more, but if you run too low, you'll be pushing like HobbyMan.
      The final drive pushed my limit from 140 to 160!!
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I was hopeing to see how far my new Venture (6.5 gal) would let me get. Unfortunately one of my kids turned the tripmeter knob. I did find that it reads empty and I still had about 75 miles left before I had to go on reserve. I think )while the tank is nearly empty) that I'll pull the sending unit and bend the float arm to get the gauge more in range.
        Next weekends CA rally might help me with a milage range.
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I use zmototo keep track of my fuel and stuff, a nice free Palm OS peice of software.

On my special, I average 115.5 miles between gas stops. Most of the time I run to reserve, but do stop early now and then if convienent. The avage fillup is 3.2 gallons, for 36.1 mpg

On the standard, with a 6.5 gallon tank, reserve is around 170. I have ridden 220 miles before stopping. According to my records, I added 5.9 gallons. On average, I go 180.4 miles between fueling, add 5.16 gallons, for 34.9mpg.

Heather's sr250, just for comparison, goes 129 miles between fuelings, and gets 2.63 gallons when it fills up. Thank would be 66.4 mpg. I hate that.
          I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

Working...
          X