Minimum shock length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum shock length

OK, Spring is here (momentarily) in NY, and I've come into some unexpected and discretionary $$$. (Meaning that SWMBO doesn't get it. ANY OF IT!) I'd like to get a set of Hagon shocks, and would like to lower the bike at the same time. Any idea of the shortest shock length I could get away with? As always, thanks in advance!
    2010 Kawasaki Z1000
    1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

I have my/our 81 SH lowered by using 11 inch shocks, but to do this you must shorten the side and center stands by the same amount. I wouldn't go any lower, because the pads on the center stand aren't very far off the ground then.

Comment

Hey Tom,

I'm sure Hagon are great shocks, but you can also find the shorter styled shocks from MikesXS, the basic Monza brand style in the 11.5" length, and might leave you with more of that $$ for other stuff? JAT!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

When I lowered SWMBO's 'H with some 11" Progressive shocks and a 16" rear wheel from a Special, I had to shorten the sidestand. Rather than shorten the centrestand, I just took it off. I only put it back on temporarily when I want to change the oil and let me tell you, it is a bit of a grunt getting it up this way. I put a piece of 2x6 with a tapered end behind the rear wheel, and a 2x4 block next to the sidestand. I roll back up the taper so the rear wheel rides up onto the 2x6, then kick the 2x4 block under the end of the sidestand. Then I can get off and lift it up onto the centrestand in the 'normal' way.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Ken- did you get the 412's? I've been looking at the heavy duty version of those also. TC- thanks for the idea on the Mike's XS shocks. I may go that route if I blow, er, spend my money on a new set of Keihin CR carburetors. $700, but I'd be able to buy any !@#$% part I need for them until I can't ride anymore!
          2010 Kawasaki Z1000
          1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

Yes, I believe it was the 412s in black, with the lighter weight springs. They work great for SWMBO.
            Ken Talbot

Comment

rear shocks

about how much does anyone think that 11.5" shocks will lowere the seat? And what's the best way to shorten the side stand.

Comment

The Rear shocks are not quite vertically mounted, but close. The OEM shocks IIRC are about 12.75" long, so you could probably expect about 1" lowering.

Unbolt the sidestand, and take it to a welder and have him cut out part of it and reweld the foot back on.

I had the OTHER problem after putting on 4" over front forks, had to lengthen my sidestand, welder put on a nice larger foot plate to help keep it from sinking into the hot pavement.

Last year I extended my centerstand with some pipe tubing steel, I learned how to weld and got my own wire feeder.
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Handling won't be negatively affected? I don't like to modify much, the engineers had it right in the first place.

By the way, I was asking for alot of help and stuff last year, and you guys helped alot, I was having issues with cutting out after installing headers. Turns out, i went back to stock jets and float settings, and everything works right now. So iin my humble opinion, Mac 4 into two's are not an upgrade toward more power, but a good replacement for rusted out stocks. I'm at k&N, drilled out box, octopus gone, stock jets,all, after 6 trys, needle in the middle, and she runs fine. Cuts a teeny when cold, but hey, i can live with that. Rolled 14,000 miles this last weekend, on a 350 mile ride, without a hitch.
                  Many thanks to you guys, TC in particular.

Comment

Working...
                  X