CV joint boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CV joint boot

Much to my dismay, I discovered my CV joint boot is giving it up after 22 years on my 80G hardbagger. A quick check in my service manual shows this could be quite a job. They show a "special" tool to remove the drive shaft. Is it a bugger of a job, and where do I find a new boot? Local Yamaha parts guy needed a lesson in what an XS11 is (bike is older than he is). Tears are not bad yet, thought of using RTV or liquid electrical tape to glean somemore life out of it. But, I know its gotta be done at some time. Any suggestions?
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

It might, or might not work, but try to get the dimensions of the shaft housings, each end, and check the quick boots (two peice) at Pep Boys, or similar auto parts house/ The ends might have to be secured withradiator hose clamps, but that might be a quick and dirty solution. The two peice auto boots can be installed without shat disassembly. There might be an answer at a CV Joint shop in your area.

Innovate, adapt, and overcome.
    '81 XS11 Midnight Special

Comment

Interesting - Quick Boots
      Ken Talbot

Comment

They show a "special" tool to remove the drive shaft.
        No special tool required to remove the drive shaft at all, but you don't have to remove it to change the boot anyway. Push the boot back and unbolt the shaft yoke from the middle gear box and then unbolt the middle gear box and remove it... not really all that difficult. Just make sure you drain the gear oil from the middle gear box first.. separate drain from the engine oil and it makes one heck of a mess if you forget.

As for the quick boot, very interesting idea indeed. No reason it shouldn't work if you can find one the correct size. I think I would be looking for a regular CV boot if it was me tho. I used one, or rather, attempted to use one of those quick boots. It was called a "split boot" as it was split on one side to allow you to put it on, then you had to glue the split together. Biggest PIA I have ever seen!! And you have a lot less room on the XS then I did under the front of my car.
        Brian
        1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
        1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
        remembering the same thing!

Comment

The CV kits that I have seen did not have glue, but just used nubs and sockets, along with "chicken bands" (cable ties) to keep them together.

I looked at my midnite, and yep it is a much tighter fit that an auto front end. All thing considered, I'd try OEM or OEM replacement.

It was just a thought, but then I try not to think late at night, it hurts too much.....

Comment

I sent Quick Boots an inquiry. will post response.

Comment

boot

Not a big job at all ,takes me half hour(done them on xs750-850,1100)like xssiveone said pull boot back to expose the four bolts holding the yoke,remove each bolt(12 mm box-end wrench works best)rotate back wheel for access to each bolt,you will need to depress back brake to hold wheel from turning when loosening bolts.The final drive axle is spring loaded,so gently apply pressure to push the u -joint flange away from middle gear housing .you will be left with sufficient space to thread new boot through,BUT..be careful they can tear.hold the boot back out of the way then reseat universal flange lining up the four bolt holes and replace the bolts with a little locktite.pull the boot back over the flange,be sure the drain hole of the boot is on the bottom, and front and rear of boot is seated properly.....hope I didn't forget anything,just take your time...Will

Comment

I ordered (and received!) a NOS CV boot for my XJ1100J from the following company. Don't recall the price. They have been very helpful in finding hard to get parts at reasonable prices. Good Luck.

Maxim4rob

http://www.speedandsportinc.com/frame.html

Comment

Working...
                X