79 XS1100F Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 XS1100F Carbs

Can anyone tell me how to get the emulsion tube out of these carbs. I have rebuilt these with new yamaha parts, (not aftermarket) from floats to seals, except for these tubes. Have had them cleaned, but still have a problem with low throttel sputtering, and stumbeling. Have also replaced intake boots.
    Brought this bike back from the dead . Had been sitting for almost 10 years rotting in a guy's back yard. These carbs are extreemly stubborn for some reasion. I'm figuring the emulsion tubes just won't come clean and I will need to replace them. Or at least be able to get them out to inspect them.
    Open road and power between your legs, nothing better!!

Take the top lids off, pull out the diaphram/needle assembly, flip carbs over and remove float bowls, remove main jets, and you should be able to get the emulsion tubes out from the top side (not float side).
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

79 carbs

What would be a good tool to use to tap these out with. I don't want or need to bust anything. I noticed there is a ball bearing at the main jet which seems to be holding them in place.

Comment

"Ball bearing.... no"

Tis not a bearing, or maybe it is, but that's not it's purpose.
        there is a certain orientation for the emulsion tube.
        Once you get the tube out, you'll see what I mean. there's groove, a channel down the length of one side. you can only insert the emulsion tube into the carb if that "ball bearing" is in line with that groove. That's the purpose.
        Ok, getting the tube out, and they often are stuck... of gummed up in place.
        The tube comes out the top of the carb. the main jet, screwed into the tube from the bottom, holds it in place.
        What I do is... unscrew the main jet a turn or so, and then tap on it, thus dislodging the tube a little, breaking it free. You should then be able to unscrew the jet all the way, and using a suitably sized rod, push the tube out the top o' the cabr for cleaning.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

If anything, use a piece of wooden dowel to drive the tube up out of its bore. This will prevent the damage that _will_ occur if you use a metal drift.
          Ken Talbot

Comment

Whatever you do, DO NOT USE A SCREW DRIVER!!!! I made that mistake once when I was stupid. I did not realize how hard I was pushing until I had destroyed the end of the tube. I now use a miniature socket that fits right inside the hole and clears the alignment key. Putting it back in is fun also.
            United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
            If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
            "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
            "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
            Acta Non Verba

Comment

79 carbs

Thanks for the info ! Guess I'll be doing that tomarrow. will let you know how everything goes.

Comment

97 Xs1100 carbs

Got them out and checked them over. They were in good shape and not clogged.
                Reset the floats, above 1 inch, close to 1 1/4 inches and it runs much better!!!!! Having the floats set at 1 inch ran it way too rich.
                Havn't been able to take it out on the highway to see if it does anything at high throttel,but have hammered the throttel and hit about 85 with a small skip. But that may be due to the plugs carbonising from running rich. I'm at 10 ft above sea level so evidently I need to run leaner.

Comment

I would think 1 1/4" would be too lean. I've set my floats at 1 1/16", and they seem to be good. This is just about 27mm, so it's close to factory. I can run at 85 to 100 MPH with no problems, and the bike does NOT seem to starve for fuel.
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hey Yankman where in NC are you. I'm down east around Havelock. Glad to see another 1100 guy in the game close by. If I can be of help just let me know and if you are headed to the beach stop by. Love to see another 1100.

Dave
                    wingnut
                    81 SH (Daily Ride)
                    81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
                    81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
                    82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
                    81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

79 carbs

Hey Wingnut, I don't need to go to the beach I live at it. Holden Beach that is. If I can ever get a day off from work that it isn't raining maybe we can hook up on a ride somewhere. My Xs is doing better , but still seems to be running rich. Just put in a new set of plugs and will run them for a few days to see how they do.
                      How far is Havlock from Holden Beach ?

Comment

Liven Downeast

Yankman, Havelock is just northwest of Morehead City. Looks like about 150 miles up US 17. Nice days ride. Do not think that new plugs are going to cure that rich situation. Might need to take one more shot at the float levels. I have some carb parts from an F up here. Let me know if I can help. How about posting a picture of you ride, we love pictures here.
                        wingnut
                        81 SH (Daily Ride)
                        81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
                        81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
                        82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
                        81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I guess I was ether lucky or there's something wrong with them in my carbs because they came right out no problem. No looseness just a sliding fit into the bores. I carefully popped them out through the top with long needle nosed pliers.
                          Rob
                          KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                          1978 XS500E
                          1979 XS1100F Restored
                          1980 XS1100 SG
                          1981 Suzuki GS1100
                          1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

79 carbs

The tubes came out pretty easy in mine also. Suprised me. I figured they were in there since day one, and would have to be cut out with a weilding tourch, but didn't have to go that far. Though it might have been fun to melt the carbs that have been making me nutso, into a pile of goop.
                            Has anyone come up with a way to attach a tube to the bowels so you can measure the fuel level. I don't know about you , but mine only have that %$#@%^&% brass bolt to drain them,and setting the float levels is a pain in the U NO WHT . It would be a lot easier to see how the level is before putting them back on the bike.

Comment

Go to the main page an look at the "tech Tips". The carb section tells about "checking" the carbs BEFORE you reinstall them. Float level should be about 1 1/16", or about 26 to 27mm from the carb body to the TOP of EACH float. I usually check for clearance problems between the floats and the bowl as well.
                              Ray Matteis
                              KE6NHG
                              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                              X