rear brake fluid/bleed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear brake fluid/bleed

Having just put my rear brake system back on, I'm at the brake fluid stage. When I did the fronts, to add SS lines, had no fluid/bleeding difficulties. Filled M/C, let gravity work I suppose, pumped a while, and the lever eventually stiffened up nicely.

I'm doing the same now, but the brake fluid is going nowhere, just sitting in the reservior. Am I missing some trick on the rear?
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

Same thing happened to me when I did my rear brakes. I got one of syringes from Walmart(they look like a big syringe). Anyway you fing them in the auto section. I put the hose over the rear beed nipple and sucked the brake fluid through. That seemed to do the trick. I was able to bleed normally after that.

Comment

One thing you MUST do on the rear master is "bench bleed". This involves putting the master in a vise to hold it, and pushing on the piston. You then put a finger over the banjo bolt hole, and release the piston. If you DON'T do this, it's very hard to get the bleeding process started.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

It can be done installed on the bike. Just did it on Saturday. You have to disconnect the brakeline from the rear caliper and hold the line connector closed between thumb and finger. Pump a few times, open your finger a bit and you can hear the air get out off the line.
        Repeat that for about 789 times and the line is filled. After that connect to the caliper and bleed as usual.

P.S. Bench bleeding is quicker!
        XS1100 and XS650- what do you need more?

Comment

MityVac!

I just picked up a MityVac last week. It bled a completely empty system in about ten minutes.

When I think of all the time I've wasted pumping, open nipple, close nipple, pumping, etc. etc. over the years I could slap myself for not getting one of these years ago!

Well worth the $40. Now i have a reason to change brake fluid every couple of years 'cause it's easy now!

Comment

Originally posted by randy
            MityVac!

I just picked up a MityVac last week. It bled a completely empty system in about ten minutes.
            +1 for mity-vac. I got the cheap one at Harbor Freight for about $20. Bled both front and rear (front was bone dry) in matter of several minutes each. I found that it helps to pump the lever occasionally while bleeding when the bleeder is closed.
            1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
            1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
            http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Just how does the MityVac work? I have seen it at Harbour Freight.
              80 SG
              81 SH in parts
              99 ST1100
              91 ST1100

Comment

Mityvac

It sucks...fluid from the reservior to the caliper.

Comment

Working...
                X