gas tank - what to do ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas tank - what to do ?

I've recently become the proud owner of a 1980 XS1100 standard and am going through the joyful process of finding all the stuff that needs to be fixed. Well, unfortunately, my first fill up at the local gas station was all I needed to find out that the gas tank leaks.

After removing the tank, i can see its already been repaired in a couple of spots as well as along a seam. Of course, upon removing the shut-off valves I found out the filters were trash. Basically, more than half of the segments of each filter looked like someone melted a hole through the middle. I'm not sure how that could happen.

Anyhow, I was thrilled to find and join this site and am hoping to get some valuable feedback.

1) Is there any source for buying a new tank and/or filters that anyone can recommend? What should this cost?

2) Is there a way to truly repair a tank so that it's "as good as new"?

Of course, if anyone has other advice regarding this stuff, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks -

Bill

First, welcome and congratulations on your purchase.

1) Is there any source for buying a new tank and/or filters that anyone can recommend? What should this cost?
    Ebay, or a motorcycle wrecker/recyler. As for cost, goes something like "whatever the seller is willing to sell it for and whatever you're willing to pay" No set price as it varies greatly based on condition and my previous statement.

2) Is there a way to truly repair a tank so that it's "as good as new"?
    Yes, no.. and maybe. Yes, you can repair a tank, depending on how bad it really is. Caswell's epoxy (highly recommended by most group members) POR15(?think that's it) and finally Kreme, all market an epoxy type tank liner kit that will seal minor leaks and also serve to clean and coat the inside of the tank to help eliminate rust. Will it be as good as new? No, but it will be as good as you can get it. These kits involve washing the inside of the tank, etching it with acid to remove surface rust and then coating with a liquid epoxy. Can't be stressed enough, you MUST follow instructions on these.. if you don't etch properly you will end up doing it over again.. and it is a real pain the second time around.

Another method to try is check with your local rad shop. They often provide a service that boils out the tank and they can coat it. Of course, their method will ruin the paint.

If it's really bad, ie out and out holes in it rather then just pinhole leaks, you can still repair it but you have to be more creative. People have welded patches over the holes, and also covered them with fiberglass, followed by a coating of the inside of the tank.
    Brian
    1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
    1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
    remembering the same thing!

Comment

I used the Kreme liner kit. It did a good job of sealing the tank and an added bonus of getting rid of all the rust flakes in the tank that kept clogging up the filters.

Comment

You can still get the petcock repair kits from Yamaha that include the filters/strainers. Check to make sure. They cost about 40 bucks though..good luck.. Yamaha also sells a gas tank deruster-- a 2 part etching kit.. it actually worked good...(for the inside of the tank)

Comment

Ooops... missed the part about the broken filter screens. Upon checking the tech tips (remember them? LOTS of helpful hints there ) I found the following tip on installing inline filters: http://www.xs11.com/tips/modifications/mods26.shtml
          Brian
          1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
          1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
          remembering the same thing!

Comment

thanks

To all,

Thanks for the advice, some great ideas.

One more question for you - when you need parts (even simple stuff like an oil filter) - what's your first stop - local dealer, internet or some other route?

Thanks

Bill

Comment

Your tank sounds kinda nasty - I would opt for the radiator shop boil out - I have to imagine the paint isn't pretty if the inside is so buggered up.

As for parts, I like to strike up a relationship with a local bike ship if at all possible for brake pads, hoses, filters, gaskets and the such. It can come in handy when you need something and can't wait for the postman.
              Rocky
              00 Cagiva Gran Canyon
              80 XS11 Special -sold
              77 HD Sportster
              75 Norton Commando

Comment

Re: thanks

Originally posted by chiarew
                To all,

Thanks for the advice, some great ideas.

One more question for you - when you need parts (even simple stuff like an oil filter) - what's your first stop - local dealer, internet or some other route?

Thanks

Bill
                Oil Filters are available at most auto parts stores and even wal-mart. Other stuff I would go to an after market source first.
                Gary Granger
                Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
                2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Working...
                X