No announcement yet.

Any problems riding at high elevations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any problems riding at high elevations?

I have a trip planned this June to Colorado. Originally my intention was to take my newer ride with me not thinking that the XJ would be running. We will be putting several miles during our tour and already after only riding the XJ for a few days the idea of leaving the bandit at home and taking the XJ is swirling through my head.

My major concern is the the elevation and how it effects or may effect the carbueration of the motorcycle. Ive heard some horror stories of bikes running so rich that fuel makes it into the oil plugs getting fouled up etc etc.

Yes both the bandit and XJ have carbs but were also talking about 20 years difference between the two bikes. Im just wondering if anybody has had some experience riding our bikes through high elevations like colorado and what it was like of if you experienced any problems.

Im just not sure what ill do not looking to break down several hundred miles away from friends house where we will be staying. And dont want to ruin other guys ride either as more than half of the other riders have fuel injected bikes.

High elevation equals less oxygen equals rich fuel mixtures, but wouldn't stress over it Op, no big deal, the XS11 will handle it all no sweat, for 78's you can always bung in one size smaller main jets if staying at altitude , 4 grand on the rev counter is low circuit(pilot) and high circuit(main jet) combined, you can even bung in some hotter plugs, BS5's, if that sooty, but when back on the lowlands go back to normal

Comment

I had exactly that problem the year SWMBO and I rode down to Colorado for the meet just outside of Colorado Springs. I noticed Tsunami bogging a bit as we climbed up over Independence Pass (12095 ft elevation).

A couple of days later, as we did a day trip over to Cripple Creek, then back around Pikes Peak, it finally fouled so bad I had to pull over and throw in a fresh set of plugs. Everything was okay after that. After getting home to 1450 ft elevation, I dropped Tsunami's floats 2mm and it made all the difference in the world. Fuel consumption went from 40 mpg to 50 mpg (Imperial gallon, cruising highway speed), and the plugs went from consistent black to perfect light tan/grey. I've driven out to the coast a few times since then and never had a problem with being too lean.

Basically, if you have your floats at the optimum level, and the appropriate main jets, you can run from sea level to 12,000 without a problem.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

It maybe a little doggy at the higher altitudes but the risk of any long term damage is nil. Just take any extra set of plugs if it worries you. I lived in ABQ NM for 30 years (5000+ alt.). Everything I drove/rode was set up for the altitude. When I moved to Austin, everthing I drove/rode had ALOT more power!! Only adjustments was to adjust idle screws on the bike, one jet size down on the truck and up 2" in pitch on the boat prop. The only time you will have problems is when you rejet for the higher altitudes and drop back closer to sea level, can run too lean. This was a big problem for people we sold generators to and they wanted them jettted for the mountains 'cause that is where they used the most. Then they wondered when they ran like crap when they brought em "down" the mountain. I guess that won't be problem in Texas since there ain't no mountains.
        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

I lived in Colo. Spgs. all the time I owned my first XS 30 yrs ago. It ran great but not as much top end as some of the guys on this site say they have reached. I never remember doing anything or having anything done to it to compensate for the altitude like we did for cars ... ie, timing and idle adjustments and occasional jetting. BTW ... you Coloradoans: ... whoever out there that has that bike ... I want it back
          80G Mini-bagger
          VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
          79SF eventually dismantled for parts
          79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
          79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
          79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

nope it runs fine in the high mountains of utah.

Comment

hey that doesnt look like an xs or xj to me...

Comment

But I do like the pic

Comment

Originally posted by OpFlash
                  But I do like the pic
                  zion canyon or Bryce canyon both drives are all some.

Comment

kick ass pic is that in Utah or Colorado

Comment

Take a look at this thread with the reposted article, especially page 72 middle column where they sum up the good points of the bike:
                      http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...5&pagenumber=2

According to the article, with the way the carbs are designed and the TCI, you shouldn't have much issue with altitude riding. Of course this was almost 30 years ago, so you might put more trust in the reports of experience here.
                      1981 XS1100SH

Comment

OP,

You aren't by chance going at the beginning of June, around Colorado Springs, are you.

A group of us are heading that way June2-8, going to an antique semi truck show in Springs on the 7th, rest of the time, riding to Estes, steamboat, Salida, and around Denver.
                        Yamaniac
                        '79 xs11 sf - WidowMaker, 750 final drive
                        '80 xs1100 sg- ENEMY#1 parts bike no title(free)
                        '79 f- frame and swingarm (and title)
                        '82 yz 490- needs a cylinder, head, & new piston, etc. Got one for sale?
                        '88 Honda cbr600- Running, finally! Training bike for swmbo, maybe a stunt bike for me eventually.

Comment

Working...
                        X