Almost a Woo Hoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost a Woo Hoo

I got my bike all back together, it runs but is missing a bit. Spark plugs are brand new; head is completely re-conditioned so I think I've either got a spark problem on one cylinder or some dirt in the carbs (probably the second one as the old air cleaner was full of crap - and a dead wasp!)

However the thing that's really peeved me is I've got a slight (steady drip) oil leak from the front right hand corner of the cam cover, right where that little half moon thing is. Should I replace it? If so are they easy to get. Or is there something else I should try?
    I was really looking forward to a ride tonight!!
    Plus it means I've got to take the seat and tank off again, oh by the way I had a breather hose left over and I've no idea where it goes. Got the: tank overflow, gearbox to airbox, carbs to petcocks, advance off carb2 and crank case to air under the tank.
    What did I miss?

Thanks again Andy, there'll be something on it's way to you soon.
    Si Parker
    '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

They definitely leak after a while.. Got mine from Yamaha for a few bucks, problem solved.. I think it was PartsnMore online had them cheaper.
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

Comment

I took mine off and put a little rtv sealant all the way around the half moon. No more leaky.
      79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
      79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Exhaust and leak

Got some good gasket goop so will apply that tonight as it takes 24hrs to cure - and that's fine 'cos after 20+ the last couple of days, it's now snowing.
        The next annoying thing is it's still missing a bit at idle but revs good (I've read the tech tips and am going to check some stuff out) but one of the exhaust bolts sheared ! I really really really don't want to take the head off again!!
        Incidentally I ordered a 4-1 from "top shelf parts" also called A.P. Cycle enterprises in Florida. Stupidly I didn't go thru e-bay ut called him direct and used my MC, I haven't heard from in the last 7 days and am a little concerned - anyone else had experience of this guy?
        Si Parker
        '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

Woot!

I'm glad the valves made it all right! I'm stuck working on a neighbors cage the last couple of weekends and damned if it didn't snow here on April Fools day.

I've been living vicariously through your posts. You're down to the small stuff now.
          Andy Newell,
          Enumclaw, WA
          03 BMW K1200RSA (Dread Zeppelin)
          1996 Triumph Tiger

Comment

Oh a couple of hints on the broken bolt, (stud perhaps?).

Be sure you don't break off any kind of extractor while trying to get it out. Prices to have this fixed are exponentially more than an original break.

Don't ask how I know this...

I've had great luck heating the area with a propane torch and using a left handed drill bit set and center punch, drill small and slow increasing size and eventually a bit will grab it and normally screw out the offending part.

If not, you're working towards the helicoil resize you'll need anyway. :-)
            Andy Newell,
            Enumclaw, WA
            03 BMW K1200RSA (Dread Zeppelin)
            1996 Triumph Tiger

Comment

That sounds good - I'll get on it as soon as I get back from the quick trip the company are sending me on. It snowed here to, so I'm stuck for a bit regardless.
              I'm so looking forward to a bit of warm weather and the chance to give her her head.
              Si Parker
              '81 XS1100H

Comment

extra breather hose? Did you figure that one out yet? It may be your float bowl breather hoses. Should have two. They attach to the airbox. I think?
                "Beware of any man that owns a pig farm"
                "Hence the meaning of the Saying,.. As greedy as a pig"
                79 XS1100 modified standard
                Chain Drive, Monoshock,extendend hand built swingarm, 200 rear
                pod filters,150 mains,45 pilots
                straight pipe 4-2 exhaust
                new to me 05 Kawasaki zxr12r man does she fly
                Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna
                Owned 02 Vstar 650 classic
                owned 85 Honda Shadow VT 700C

Comment

Re: Exhaust and leak

Originally posted by SiP
                  I ordered a 4-1 from "top shelf parts" also called A.P. Cycle enterprises in Florida. Stupidly I didn't go thru e-bay ut called him direct and used my MC, I haven't heard from in the last 7 days and am a little concerned - anyone else had experience of this guy?
                  I bought from him via e-bay, no problems, got the exhaust in about a week.
                  Casey
                  1980 xs1100g "Frankenstein" (Now with a mind of his own!)

"What do you mean I can't park this thing here?"
                  "Shiny side up? I don't have a shiny side."

Comment

Well he's got some time yet so my fingers are crossed - what worried me was a couple of the -ve comments in his feedback, there is a lott more +ve though.
                    We'll see!
                    Si Parker
                    '81 XS1100H

Comment

SiP, also be prepared for quite a delay coming through Canada Customs. I've bought a few things in the past few years and have found it can easily take a couple of weeks to pass Customs. Add on a bit of travel time getting to the border, then from customs on to your address, and before you know it three weeks have passed.
                      Ken Talbot

Comment

No I didn't figure out the extra hose yet. The ones from the carbs I've got. This one vents to air under the bike like the tank overflow. Live and learn - I'll label them next time they come off.
                        I am going to wait until I've got my new exhaust before removing the broken stud - it's on and not leaking at the moment.
                        Hopefully the customs thing is the problem - but why won't he answer my e-mails?
                        Anyway I'm a helluva lot closer than I was a couple of weeks ago.
                        Si Parker
                        '81 XS1100H

Comment

Working...
                        X