Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TCI compatibility

A question.

I have 1978 XS 1100. EU model I guess...
    Now then, I have to test my TCI unit. Since only 6 were imported to the country in 78 and none of them are running, at least not in Slovenia, I wonder which model had the same TCI.

A guy has 79 (I think it's standard) bout 70 miles due north and he's rather unwilling to test my TCI on his bike, and another
    guy has a 1982 XS(???) bout 30-40 miles due south and is willing to test it, but he's rarely home, and even then I cannot reach him.

So, since the wiring diagrams for 78E and 81G were the same, I guess it should work, but I'm not sure bout that 82 XS. I thaught only XJ models were produced then.

So, which models had the same TCI unit as 78E?

Does anybody have a wiring diagram for the TCI, since elements there seem to be replacable. And what usually fails?

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Never seen a diagram for the box. Power transistors (that get the signal from the pickup coils) that fire the coils are the most likely culprit, but anything could blow. Nothing in mine had part nr's, what bs is that? A purposeful mystery. When I thought I needed to replace mine, they were still in stock at over $300 US, what a total ripoff. I dug in and lucked out with a solder joint. There is no *real* reason not to have part nr's on everything except the timing IC's, which would be custom, but everything else would be an off-the-shelf part, and should have a number. Fargin bastidges.

The 79 guy, I could see him being unwilling to try HIS box on YOUR bike, but, if your TCI is no good, it couldn't hurt his bike. Try to explain that to him - if your TCI doesn't fire, there is no way it can damage anything on his bike. AFAIK, there is no failure mode that can make it send out any voltage/current that would like what? Fry his coils? NO WAY

The guy who is not home? "Lights on Nobody home". Can't say for sure that 82 wasn't a valid EU XS (rather than an XJ), but there were enuf diff's to make it incompatible in any case, I believe. 78-79 should be no problem, IIRC.

One day, you will have that thing running, and everyone will owe everyone else a beer.
    Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

LOL, tnx, Mike!

I re-re-rechecked my pick-up coils... took em off the bike and measured the resistance while wiggling the wires and turning them on the plate. The bottom one had bout 1 ohm difference when wiggling and all, bottom one bout 8-15 ohms.
      Might be the wires. But I'll check the TCI before I go cutting stuff.

LP

Comment

Took the TCI to the electronics shop... measured the elements there, re-soldered the stuff, looks fine.

Tested it on the bike... same thing. Got the carbs off again, cleaned them again (third or fourth time)... but they were clean alredy, so...

...I'll reset the air gaps and stuff on the pick-ups, and if that doesn't work... I guess I'll need another TCI.

Off topic: I rode a 76 LeMans a few days back... whenever someone uses the word civile with a motorcycle... this must be the opposite. Nice torque and power, the ride was great (thanks to koni rear shocks and some fat probbably laverda front forks. And an ohlins steering damper. And all the uselles junk taken off and aluminium gas tank, brembo oro series brakes, steel braided brake lines, new pads, 17" rims fitted with sportmax or 207RR or sth similar,... and the fact that it works)

Wanna wanna wanna... for solo and town work at least.

LP

Comment

The 78-80 were all the same in the US, 81 changed since it had no vac advance unit and this duty was handled by the black box, also the coils on 81 were a different primary resistance.
          Gary Granger
          Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
          2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Originally posted by sixtysix
            The 78-80 were all the same in the US, 81 changed since it had no vac advance unit and this duty was handled by the black box, also the coils on 81 were a different primary resistance.
            That's odd, my 81 has a vacuum advance unit, along with the vacuum hose that runs from the #2 carb to it. Perhaps you're thinking of the 82XJ's, they seem a bit more electronically jazzed, are they the year the vacuum advance is gone??
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

The XJ uses that vac source to go to a vac sensor which sends a voltage to the tci, no vac advance, in fact, no mechanical advance either - never have p/u coil probs on XJ's.

Comment

carbs cleaned... again... but I don't think it'll help.

Gotta get me another TCI unit.. anyone wanna part with theirs from a parts bike?

BTW: I'd prefer a running one...

LP

Comment

All as written above... I even put old spark plugs in... same sh*t. When it was running on 500rpm I hit the TCI... and the bike died. So I thaught... a coincidence... so I did it again... and it died again... I pulled on the wires coming to TCI... nothing.. still on 500rpm... pushed on the top, it died.

So... I need a cheap working TCI... HELP!!!

LP

Comment

If your tci fails under mechanical stress, betcha 10 to 1 it is just a bad solder joint. Get it apart, have a good look, re-heat and add solder if need to the power transistor mount points. If you aren't used to working with soldering electronics, get someone who is to do it.

Another possibility is the board is cracked, and traces are opening under mechanical stress. Again, could be fixed. As long as the components haven't had the smoke let out of them, it can be dealt with.

BTW, quit hitting your tci box!!!!!!!

Comment

When I took it to the shop, the guy checked all the components and re-soldered everything. But the problem persisted. Sth must be overheating.

I'll try and do it again...

And I almost certalnly won't be hitting the box again... OK maybe with a large mallot, but other than that...

LP

Comment

Re-soldered the box again... same sh*t...

I updated the pics on my HP.

http://213.143.72.86

Look under interests section.

LP

Comment

Working...
                        X