Blue bearings, help pls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue bearings, help pls

Hi there, I have my engine apart and I'm looking at some pretty blue main bearings. I've been debating whether to take the rods off and check out those bearings or just leave well enough alone. The odometer reads 39k, but I found out that the speedo cable is gone

Anyone got around got some main bearings? Also, is it wise to check the rods?

Thanks

Do you know what color bearings you need? I would check the rod bearings as well, it can't hurt.

Comment

If you are that far down, DO THE RODS !! It sounds as if you don't know the total miles, and if the engine was run with low or no oil. I know the bearings can be had, as Snow (I think) just did his engine. be VERY careful when trying to find them, as I think they come per half, NOT as a "set".
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

They are sold in halves, and the #4 main has one half that is the thrust bearing. The YamaRobber in my area gets about $15 per half, and I don't know how much for the thrust bearing. I have been kucky enough to win a few sets on ebay, and I had enough to competly do te entir cranks and rods on trbigs bike last week. Do you know how to determine the proper size?
        Good thing they aren't BALL bearings. get it...blue ball bearings.

Comment

hey thanks for the replies, no I can't seem to find the numbers for the crankcase. I see the 5 numbers on the crank, they're all 2's.

Comment

Ok, I figured it out. The case has all 5's, the crank has all 2's, so I would need all browns. Guess I'll check the rods too.

If you go through all the expense of getting new bearings, what should you do to the crank? I suppose plastigauge to see if there's any taper?

Comment

Working...
            X