Multiple Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Questions

First, what size pod filter do I ned for an XJ, I can't remember. Second, when I took the airbox off there were two tubes left over. One is very large and I assume that that is the one I need to put a small filter on and tuck away. The other is much smaller and I can't remember if that one came off the airbox or not. I thought I disconected all the tubes but I may have missed it? Is the smaller one off the airbox or is it just some sort of breather tube? If it off the airbox, should I put a filter on that too?

Thanks
    Jake
    82 XJ1100 "Slave One"

Hey Jake/Mort,

I did a little search first, but confirmed that you need the 54mm size. Depending on what brand and what style, round vs. oval will determine whether you may have any problems with them. IF you get the kind with a prominent mounting lip on the inside, you MAY experience a stalling problem at ~6K+rpm?

The large hose is the engine PVC vent, filter on it is right.
    The smaller hose is the MIddle Gear vent, just position it up under the gastank vented to air, usually is mounted to a clip near the gas tank bolt down area!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

PVC?
      Travis Miller
      1978 E

Comment

Thought that it was PCV? Just trying to get to it before Prometheus does.
        Travis Miller
        1978 E

Comment

Awesome, thanks guys.
          Jake
          82 XJ1100 "Slave One"

Comment

Travis,
            Your almost half way to Guru, and learning FAST!! Good job keeping TC strait. It is a Positive Crankcase Ventilation hose, and it should have a filter.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Why, I thought it was Polyvinyl chloride! Do you really need a filter because it is just blowing out oily air anyway? Just curious.
              United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
              If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
              "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
              "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
              Acta Non Verba

Comment

Maybe the filter keeps insects from crawling in there? Maybe it helps by keeping speckled oil spots off of your jeans and makes a more gradual staining?

Originally posted by HobbyMan
                Why, I thought it was Polyvinyl chloride! Do you really need a filter because it is just blowing out oily air anyway? Just curious.
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

That makes sense. The only other logical reason that I can think of is when the engine cools, maby air is sucked back in.
                  United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                  If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                  "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                  "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                  Acta Non Verba

Comment

Venting

Hi Jake,
                    as has been said, both hoses are vents and went to the stock airbox so the engine could swallow it's own emissions.
                    Swapping to pods means you can't do that any more. You will be venting the engine and the middle gear case to atmosphere instead. If you stick a small filter on the end of each vent hose it will stop debris (or mudwasps. I've been told it happens) getting into the works.
                    If you stick a Positive Crankcase Ventilator (essentially, a one-way valve) on the engine vent hose it will let the engine maintain a slight partial vacuum inside the crankcase. This is allegedly a good thing.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                    X