XJ or XS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ or XS?

I read a few threads that deal with XJ1100s. I have not seen any description of the advantages of an XJ compared to an XS (1100).

Does anyone have reason to prefer an XJ to an XS Special?

Thanks,
    Bob

Trying to stir up some action, Bob?

Possible advantages:
    • Lower seat.
    • 5 gal tank but still teardrop shape.
    • More alternator output.
    • Cool megaphones
    • 2 way adjustable handlebars.
    • Seat comes off easier (with a key, not a wrench)

Possible disadvantages:
    • a lot of unique parts not interchangeable with XS (though almost all engine internals are the same)
    • square handlebars (not round tube) make it a bit more problematic to put on a windscreen if you can't find or fab the clamps
    • battery has a fluid sensor that can be done without if you want to use the more common batt that fits xs

Possibly in both categories, advantage/disadvantage: it was produced in far fewer numbers.

Those are really minor differences, though, not enough there to make anyone want to sell their XS to get an XJ instead. Now, to get one in addition, that's another story...
    Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Well, its Friday and things a re slow...

Actually, I got into the xs1100s by buying two non-running bikes from a fellow via ebay. I put one into running condition and sold it. As you likely know, I found bad bearings in one. That problem is being addressed.

I saw a 1982 1100 maxim on ebay and thought the lower seat would be an improvement over my 1979 xs1100 since it would permit both of my feet to sit flat on the road at a stop.

I think I will stay with the XS series based on my survey of parts availability and prices for the XJ1100.

Nonetheless, everyone must be mellow today.

Bob

Comment

Was at a salvage yard today and found several XS's and what I think a was a fully dressed XJ. There was a little damage on the left side of the fairing but I think it was fixable.

Comment

OK. A few more differences...

XJ has:
          Cross-linked braking system (left front coupled to rear through a proportioning valve.)
          Digital gauge cluster, incluing warning lights for low oil, low battery level, low brake fluid level, and bar-type fuel gauge.
          Slotted rotors, same as on some ealier Specials.
          Front axle in front of fork tubes, same as a few earlier models.
          All digital ignition, no mechanical advance mechanism. Different black box than any other XS, although I believe some '81s also had all-electronic ignition.
          Handelbars are set up on dual spline system, one for up-down, on for width, adjustable in both directions.
          Additional safety interlock switches, side stand down, clutch in, and neutral. Generally speaking, the XJ's electrics are more complex tha the XS. This is not always a good thing.
          XJ used Yamaha's YICS industion system, designed to swirl the combustion gasses. Requires a special tool to synch carbs, and is one reason the XJ cylinder casting carries a different part number from the XS. Carbs are jetted leaner. Choke is cable-operated from left handlebar, not lever activated on carbs as it is on the XS.
          Front and rear suspensions are air adjustable.
          No 'stub' for a kick start lever.
          Stock mufflers end before the rear axle, making easier to change tires. Older XS models included a special tool to 'hang' the rear tire above the axle to help with axle removal.
          Cosmetics are vert different. Front fender includes a token fork brace. Rear fender mounts license plate closer to seat. Side covers are unique to the XJ. Rear foot peg mounts are in different place, so accessories that use these mounts (Vetter hard luggage for a fact) must be modified to fit the XJ. Curved spoke wheels. 85 MPH speedometer (Terrible! But there is a way to upgrade to a 160.) Two colors, Yamaha New Black and Ruby Red, were available.

So why would anyone want an XJ over an XS? (Loaded question!)
          The XJ has the looks of the Special but with the bigger tank, more reliable ignition system, lower seat height, adjustable handlebars, better stock suspension, and a few extra do-dads like an electronic fuel gauge that actually works pretty well. Styling is a bit more modern looking, as Yamaha used the cureved spoke wheels and 'Maxim' tag on bikes for the next 4 or 5 years, into the mid to late '80s. Shorter pipes, ending before the axle, became standard styling fare as well.

You do have to put up with a 1 year sales run in the US, a couple more years in Canada and Mexico, all unchanged from the '82 model with the exception of speedo reading in KPH instead of MPH.

There are quite a few XJ owners represented on the forum.
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.
          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Jerry,

Just read your post comparing the XS & XJ models. Very interesting. I am interested in upgrading to the 160 mph speedo if possible. I searched for past discussions on the subject but no luck. Please give me information regarding this upgrade for my '82 XJ1100. Thanks alot.

maxim4rob.

Comment

The gauge cluster is different from the XS, so you can't just put a 160 speedo off an xs on it.

Deano took his to a speedo shop in Portland who recalibrated it. Find a reputable speedo shop in your area and ask them what they think.

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for the reply. But it looked to me as though Jerry was referring to an XJ when he mentions the speedo upgrade to 160 mph. I am assuming that since he apparently owns one that he was talking about an upgrade to his XJ. What say you Jerry? Also Mike, can't wait to read about the 137.5 main jet set-up for your Emgo cones. How are they working out? Thanks again.

maxim4rob

Comment

The XJ speedo upgrade goes something like this.

You need to get a 160 mph faceplate from another Yamaha, preferably an early XS. The faceplate is the same size and uses the same mounts. The XJ's trip odometer numerals are farther apart than the XS. You have to take a small file and elongate the odometer slot. A small 3-sided file works well, as will jeweler's files, and helps heep the edges of the slot square.

Take the 160 faceplate, with the elongated odometer slot, and the 85mph speedometer, and send it to a speedo shop. They will swap face plates and recalibrate the speedo to the new plate. The shop in Portland, OR charged about $50.00 (including shipping back to me) for this service. The face plate cost about $15.00 with shipping, so the conversion ran about $65.00.

Takes a bit of work, not a bolt-up option, but does keep the original mileage and speedo, plus gives you the 160 mph readout. You just have to get used to the speedo needle not moving as far on the dial....

From Dean back in 2000:

Hi Jerry,
                  I used Ryan Jones at Speedometer Service and Instrument Company. 1-800-634
                  2145 or 503 227 5567 Address is 530 NW 11th Ave. Portland OR 97209 Also
                  have a web address WWW.speedometer.citysearch.com. Let me know if you need
                  anything else. It's been a short enough time ago that Ryan will probably
                  remember the swapout.

Take care,
                  Dean

I think Ryan Jone started his own company after this, will have to check my other notes and see if I have the newer information.
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.

Comment

Myself, after 85mph, I'm really not all that interested at looking at the speedometer!!

My Bandit speedo, pfui, I have a Sigma on there, I can always see peak speed later when stopped.

Comment

Checked my notes this AM. here is a post from July 13 of this year:

Here's the info AGAIN ;^)
                      The guy I used (Ryan Jones) worked at Speedometer Service Company
                      downtown but left several months ago and started a new company called
                      Portland Speedometer Inc. It's on McLaughlin Blvd just South of Concord Rd.
                      The address is 16671 SE McLaughlin Blvd. Milwaukie, OR 503 653 554 Hours
                      7:30 - 5:00 M-F, Sat 8:00 - 1:00
                      He is an artist. Stay away from Speedometer Service Co. Those guys
                      are a bunch of buffoons - one of the reasons he left.

Deano

I am now on my 3rd speedo, may need to get the Sigma when I run out of XJ parts.....course the last one reduced the bike's mileage from 49K to 16K.......

Have not tried mounting the entire guts of an XS speedo in the XJ housing. Due to differences in design of the case I suspect it wouldn't be a bolt in job. Will have to look more closely at the next XS rally, bring one of the old speedos with me.
                      Jerry Fields
                      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                      '06 Concours
                      My Galleries Page.
                      My Blog Page.

Comment

What about the Canadian XJs ('82-'84)?
                        Did they also have the 85mph speedo?

Dave
                        XJ1100J

Comment

Don't know about the Canadian XJs, sorry. My impression is they were slow-meters, reading less than 160 MPH or equal KPH.
                          Jerry Fields
                          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                          '06 Concours
                          My Galleries Page.
                          My Blog Page.

Comment

canadian read 140 with a mark for 150.
                            or 240kph

just to bring it back from the dead....
                            K. Johnson
                            -1978 XS750SF - brought back from the dead with carb
                            triple clean and boots
                            -1982 XJ1100J - brought back from the dead by
                            replacing motor after throwing #4 rod
                            -1985 XJ750XN - shim job, oil change, ride. not bad for
                            $500 including new rear tire.

Comment

Working...
                            X