Everything was working fine...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything was working fine...

I ran the bike several hundred miles and decided to pull the tank and plastic and have them painted. Yes, I pulled the petcocks off. Re-assembled everything and cranked on the first try. Rode to the gas station for the first official tank of gas. Rode one mile and the engine went dead. Walked home, got my trailer and two friends and after a great struggle (we are all in our mid fifties) got it home. At first thought it might be a fuel problem but petcocks seem to be working fine. Next I checked the spark. None! Checked voltage at the coils and got a reading of about 10.8. I am currently charging the battery as I am writing this. What should my next step be?
    Never say to your wife "Correct me if i'm wrong"...thats askin' for it
    1979 xs1100f
    1999 Vulcan

I would make sure that all of your electrical connections are made.
    Something may have come loose while pulling or installing the tank and plastics. After charging the battery check for spark again and see if it will run. If it runs and then dies again it is more than likely a charging problem.
    "Beware of any man that owns a pig farm"
    "Hence the meaning of the Saying,.. As greedy as a pig"
    79 XS1100 modified standard
    Chain Drive, Monoshock,extendend hand built swingarm, 200 rear
    pod filters,150 mains,45 pilots
    straight pipe 4-2 exhaust
    new to me 05 Kawasaki zxr12r man does she fly
    Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna
    Owned 02 Vstar 650 classic
    owned 85 Honda Shadow VT 700C

Comment

Check the tipover switch. Unplug it, if the engine fires, the switch is bad.

Comment

12.7 V to the coils...wonder if the resister could be the problem? Checked both coils and no spark. Would both coils fail at the same time?
        1979 xs1100f
        1999 Vulcan

Comment

Tip over switch was removed last week. Bike ran fine after removal. Ome less problem...Cosmo
          1979 xs1100f
          1999 Vulcan

Comment

The resistor supplies voltage (approx 9VDC) to the coils as soon as the Main Switch is turned ON and the OFF-RUN Switch is turned to RUN.

When the Start Button is DEPRESSED, full battery voltage is presented on the R/Y lead to the TCI. The TCI will then switch the R/Y input to the W/R output presenting Battery voltage minus 0.5V to the coils. This is the "resistor bypass" path for the start cycle.

With no spark, need to verify:
            a. proper voltage at the coils for both Start and Run conditions.
            b. the pickups are sending proper signal to the TCI.
            c. the TCI is providing signal to each coil (Orange and Grey wires)
            d. the coils are functioning

Hope this helps.

Comment

Problem Found

Turns out there was a loose connection at the ignition box...Thanks, Cosmo
              1979 xs1100f
              1999 Vulcan

Comment

Working...
              X