Trouble with Barnett plates!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with Barnett plates!

I installed the Barnett steel plates. They did fit OK but have an awful lot of drag. The new steel plates had a matt finish, not smooth and shiny like the original ones. The release mechanism works OK but there a considerable amount of drag that never goes away, even with the lever pulled all the way in. It's pretty difficult to drive in traffic now as I have to hold the brake on while stopped to keep from creeping forward and it's very hard to shift gears. In fact, it's nearly impossible to downshift while stopped. Does anyone know if the rough surface will wear off with some use and the clutch will begin to work normally again at some point or should I just throw away those plates and put the others back in?
    72 TS185
    77 XS750
    78 SR500
    80 XS850
    80 XS1100 Midnight Special
    81 Seca XJ750RH

What you are describing is exactly what my 79f has been like for years and years. I have learned to live with it. Now I can assume that it is because I have a barnett clutch. Note it never slips, never needs adjustment and has been in my bike for over 10 years. Good quality stuff. FWIW.Andreas

Comment

What happens if you turn the adjusting screw a bit more (not the adjuster on the handlebar end of the clutch cable)? See part #26 on the fiche :
      Ken Talbot

Comment

barnett

I have installed the barnett in the xs before(I presume you have the extra plate kit?)Now this is my personal opinion,Barnett makes a fine product,but in the xs1100 I've had more problems with grabbing and adjustment than all other bikes I have installed into.My own xs(all three)I've gone back to fresh stock plates.But I do run the barnett springs....Will

Comment

Working...
        X