Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

are rotors turnable? the bike shop says NO!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are rotors turnable? the bike shop says NO!?

The rear rotor is looking kind of groovy like man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-073rIldKs

and needs a shave..
    my small town shop told me, a dude ,we here will not cut any bike rotors, because there not turnable? is this true. i thought there like car rotors that could be put on a lave and cut down some .
    Last edited by midnight1980; 03-25-2007, 09:33 PM.

I also was told that bike rotors are not turnable. I think the guy said it was because they are stainless steel not like car rotors.
    1979 XS 1100 Standard (project)
    1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
    1995 GSXR750 Streetfighter (project)
    1978 XS 1100 E (Sold) Owner for 19 years

Comment

MotoMartin
      i think the shop is wrong check this website out..
      http://www.framestraightsystem.com/BrakeRotor.htm
      Brake Rotor and Break Drum Repair $10.00 to $80.00 ea.

Comment

I have a lathe at home and have turned my disc rotors up with no problems.

Use Tungsten Carbide tipped tools here
        Tom
        1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
        1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
        1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
        1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

I've seen bike rotors, (XS) rust. I thought stainless was just that. Stainless.
          I think that they are turnable. Anything's possible with the right $$$$$$$
          Even if they're stainless, silver, platnum, gold, they were made, therfore, they can be altered.
          In your manual, there should be a sentance in there saying what the max. run out is.
          S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
          1-big XS patch
          1-small XS/XJ patch
          1-XS/XJ owners pin.
          1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
          2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
          1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
          1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

The hardness of the metal make turning them on a conventional brake lathe impossible. The bit will chatter and destroy the rotor.
            They can be ground, much like a flywheel.
            The problem is that the minimum thickness is so close to the original thickness that turning them would pass the min thickness.
            Ford Aerostar front brake rotors are like this. By the time they need to be turned they need to be replaced.
            Pat Kelly
            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

The hardness of the metal make turning them on a conventional brake lathe impossible. The bit will chatter and destroy the rotor.
              What is a ''Brake Lathe''?

Any steel, stainless or not, up to a hardness of 62 Rockwell-C (think drill bit), can be turned on a normal Toolroom lathe using tungsten carbide tools, the nearer to 62 the more difficult it gets but its possible.

XS Brake rotors, at a guess (from turning mine), would be about 50 Rockwell-C and present no problems turning.

The minimum thickness is a problem, I overcame this by only removing the high points of the rutted rotor leaving a smooth good looking rotor.

Tom, Toolmaker 26years.
              Tom
              1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg

Comment

In reality we like our rotors to look really pretty when we are done. The only reason to turn rotors is to true them up. The grooves need not be removed, only the hills taken off. The elimination of pulsation is the real reason. Actually they should be ground with a rotor grinder, but since most don't have them and others don't know how to use them, they use a lathe.
                1979 XS1100F (runnin the wheels off it)
                1979 XS650 (ran the wheels off it)
                1976 CB550F (ran the wheels off it)

Comment

Dont know if they can be turned or not but remember, the rotors are a heat sink. Brakeing is nothing more than converting kinetic energy to heat and taking metal off diminishes a rotors heat sinking ability and may cause brake fading under hard stoping.
                  Mike Giroir
                  79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Taking metal off with a lathe tool or a brake pad its all the same.

The thickness of XS rotors is way above that of modern bikes so I think the heatsink difference will be negligible.
                    Tom

Comment

&quot;To disagree, is to provoke thought, and maybe learn something new.&quot;

Most shops will not turn rotors. In the years that I've been playing this game, I can't think of anyone who's come in asking for that to be done.
                      That's not to say that I haven't seen many rotors that could have had a good smoothing...
                      The cost of the equipment is substantial.
                      No shop will invest the money... for something that will give them almost nothing in return.(to pay for the machine)
                      Now then... as fer good machine shops(not a bike shop) that have the means to do all sorts of great things..., yes, they can handle it.
                      But as was mentioned, the tolerances are so close as to what is stock and what is the minimum useable thickness, makes this enterprise a waste of time.
                      Switching to a harder brake pad compound will often, over time, grind the highspots back down a bit, provided you want to listen to the harder compound pads screech everytime you hit the brakes.
                      Yes, pulsation is an issue... but that is more due to warpage than grooves and such.
                      Our rotors are rather thick... and hardly warp(at least in my limited experience)
                      Doesn't take much warpage to make brakes pulsate. (what's happening is the rotor gets warped, and as you apply the brakes, when the warped area hits the pad, it trys to shift the caliper over to the side a bit, and caliper sdon't like to move much. that is the pulsating effect you feel.
                      I replaced, I think, about 10 rotors on Triumphs last year. The wear limit.. warpage standard, I believe was 0.032.
                      That really doesn't seem like much of a deviation from true... but when applying brakes... it makes for a really jerky stop.
                      Triumph's response was to make a thicker rotor, less prone to heating and warpage.
                      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Seem to recall that Bob Jones at Merriam Cycle was offering to turn brake rotors. Of course it has been years since I was in his shop, and even then his prices were prohibitive.

Comment

I don't see why someome with the right equipment couldn't take the high spots off the rotors. Every time I put on new pads I take some light sand paper to the rotors. That way the new pads effectively take the high spots down. I am going to watch Easy Rider now. What a classic movie!
                          United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                          If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                          "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                          "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                          Acta Non Verba

Comment

easy rider.

Phil Spector's body guard reminds me of "Snapping Turtle Turk" from "Yellow Submarine".
                            As I say to my sons when going on trips,
                            "If we're going... we're going, let's go!"
                            "I'm sort of a freak myself," (Karen Black)
                            "Neyt, neyt neyt... Indians." (George)

"Owhh.. my head hurts."
                            "You keep that up, you ain't gonna have a head, Man!" (Billy)
                            "It's not every man that can do his own thing in his own time." (Wyatt)

Why do I even know this stuff?
                            There's something wrong here.
                            "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

check out this thread

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...turning+rotors
                              '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
                              X