Carb ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb ID

I'm looking for a 78 XS11 carb rack. I understand Carburetors from other years will work but not as well. These are not easy to find. The set on the bike has a broken needle jet seat. I've been trying Ebay, but most listings, and there are few, the seller usually doesn't know the year. What is the best way to identify, or ask someone to identify, what year the rack came from? What questions should I be asking to find a set in good rebuildable condition? Is there anywhere else I should be looking?
    1980 XS11 Basketcase

Don't 78 (and maybe 79 carbs) have an "E" stamped on the bottom of the float bowl? I'd think as long as the carb set are all the same year, then they'd be fine on any XS11 - but I could be mistaken.
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Hey Matt,

Why buy a whole car because of a flat tire?

Okay, what part exactly is broken?? The Fuel Inlet Needle valve seat,
      Or the central Main Jet Nozzle, called the Main Needle JET, doesn't necessarily have a seat, but the main jet screws into it, and the vacuum slide needle fits down into the top of it!

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I'm not sure, it's my stepfather's bike. Those were his words, and he swears he needs a new rack. I have to believe what he says because he was a mechanic, loves this bike, but has let it set idle since I've known him. My mom want him to sell it, but I don't. So I'm trying to find him a nice present.
        1980 XS11 Basketcase

Comment

78 E and 79 F are the same. You can tell them cause they have an extra pair of hoses to vent float bowls. On the bottom rear of the rack, there are tees that connect #1-2 carbs to a single fuel hose. Same with carbs #3-4. On the E and F and SF there are another identical pair of tees above them. These vent the float bowls, and go to the upper front of the airbox. The only difference with the SF is that the octopus is mounted above carbs #1-2 and the choke lever is shaped a bit different. 80 and 81 carbs do not have external vent hoses, and the floats and slide diaphrams are different, also jetted different due to internal differences and anti-pollution specs. Any of these carbs will work on a stock XS11 with stock jetting. Broken pilot jets can be removed and replaced. Like TC said, why change the whole car because of a flat tire? Repair what you have, if possible. If you do replace the carb rack, remember the 78-79 carbs are easier to fine tune. But the float vents MUST be open, or massive flooding will occur. Scroll to tech tips, and I am sure you will find how to remove broked pilot needles, or most any other repair you may need to make.
          put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
          79 F (Blueballs)
          79 SF (Redbutt)
          81 LH (organ donor)
          79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
          76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
          rover has spoken

Comment

Something else I was also told if you look at the back of carb the air inlet side there are only 3 holes on the 78/79 carbs and 4 holes on the 80/81 series
            hope it helps some

Comment

Originally posted by Ljay40
              Something else I was also told if you look at the back of carb the air inlet side there are only 3 holes on the 78/79 carbs and 4 holes on the 80/81 series
              hope it helps some
              This is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Ljay40
                hope it helps some
                That helps alot, and just in time to cancel my auction sniper on a bid. Thanks.
                1980 XS11 Basketcase

Comment

Working...
                X