Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Human nature

Just felt like passing this on.
    I'm waiting for the valve to come that Andy is sending me and decided to check the rest of them and clean them up.
    Went out to try and buy a vavlve tool (the "C" clamp type 'cos the others won't fit) and couldn't find one anywhere.
    Finally I'm in a place where the guy says " Go have a word with John in the machine shop I bet he's got one that he can lend you"
    When I speak to John he says "Have you got the head here" - yes - " Then leave it with me and come back in two hours".
    He cleaned it all up reseated all the valves and cleaned out the ports, all for a pack of beer. He's even going to seat the new one for me when it gets here.
    Between him and Andy and the rest of the guys here who are all so helpful, it's made me a very happy camper.
    Simon
    Si Parker
    '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

It's always nice when you get more than you ask for. I try to do that for people as much as I can at work. I like to do things for them that we don't do normally. Just today I reseated a ladys jeep top so that the drivers door would stop jamming. She was really excited.
    "It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees."

Comment

"Not to be outdone..."

A guy brought in two tires to be mounted and balanced today. I was too wet and tired to even fill out a work order so I told him it was free.
      Why wet and tired? Someone bought our last ZX14 and I had to test ride it in the rain. I turned down his cash gratuity, and he came back a little while later and dropped off a bottle of Crown Royal.
      Shame that I shared it with the rest of the shop. What's funny is, this is the second bottle of C.R. I've received this week. (I'm not a whiskey drinker)(Ok, I am now)

I've mentioned several times over the past years... It doesn't take much to let your mechanic know you appreciate him. A guy who brought me a six pack of beer last year dropped off his bike for service. I currently have a two week backlog. I still had to charge him, but I stayed late and got it out the next day.

I think, SiP... that you know what needs to be done. (You may need his services again some time.)
      Mechanics are animals, plain and simple.
      Stimulus/response... stimulus/response.
      Your bike stuck in a shop for two weeks? Show up early Saturday morning "just to see how it's going" but bring one of those big selection boxes of donuts. (stimulus)
      You are now a priority customer(response)
      Just make sure that the cognitive connection is made between you, the donuts, and your bike!
      (we're dealing with animals, remember)
      This is not a bribe... it's called an investment.
      In government, I believe this is called graft, (but I'm not a legal expert)
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Effect and response

Prom
        Your right on the money . Whenever i have a good month in sales i go out and buy the Service dept coffee and doughnuts at a huge tax deductiable cost of about 30 bucks . Let me tell ya when i need a favour from those guys im looked after real quick. Even if its a job on my Jeep . As an example they switched my winter tires for my summers at no charge, an oil change with filter at cost 18 bucks I luv those guys !
        Doug
        Doug Mitchell
        82 XJ1100 sold
        2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
        2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
        1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
        47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Working...
        X