• Time
  • Show
Clear All

T.C.,

There is a long story behind those lenses

I was wanting this lens:

from CruiserCustomizing.
    They sent me this lens twice:

Called them up three or four times explaining to them that this one on the right, the one you sent me, was too small.

Never got through to them.

In frustration I took my pictures to a local dealership (YAMAHA WEST) here in Fort Worth. The guy behind the counter ordered one for me no sweat! I didn't ask any questions. I was just glad to get it.

Member TADracer might know

As for making the signals myself, gotta have instant gratification

I guess if worse comes to worse I could always put in a resistor in, but that would defeat the purpose (less current draw).

Good stuff T.C.
    nubee
    Nubee

Comment

That is an absolutely amazing beauty of a special!
      1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
      1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
      http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Wow What a beauty! Sweet love the clear lenses so those are from a stock yamaha. Any chance you have a part number on those from an invoice or something.

Comment

Not a CLEAR SOLUTION?

Well, I went on a search, found some clear lens covers on Dennis Kirk's site, but see below their description and fitment!?

Clear Alternatives Clear Turn Signal Lenses Price Range: Loading...
          Common Features -
          Type: Lens Units: Each
          Order InfoClear Turn Signal Lens
          Dennis Kirk Part #: 210156
          Manufacturer Part #: 25-4020C
          Clear Turn Signal Lenses

Part Number - (Price)
          210156 - ($5.99)
          Quantity:
          10+ on Hand

Your Price: $5.99

The Fitment guide lists ONLY the below models which only go back to 1985.
          These models all take this newer styled deeper lens cover:
          42X-83312-00-00 LENS, FLASHER

Fitment:
          Yamaha - VMX1200 V-Max 1985
          Yamaha - VMX1200 V-Max 1986
          Yamaha - VMX1200 V-Max 1988
          Yamaha - VMX1200 V-Max 1989
          Yamaha - VMX1200 V-Max 1990
          Yamaha - VMX1200 V-Max 1991
          Yamaha - VMX1200 V-Max 1992
          Yamaha - VMX1200 V-Max 1993
          Yamaha - VMX1200 V-Max 1994
          Yamaha - VMX1200 V-Max 1995
          Yamaha - VMX1200 V-Max 1996
          Yamaha - VMX1200 V-Max 1997
          Yamaha - VMX1200 V-Max 1998
          Yamaha - VMX1200 V-Max 1999
          Yamaha - XJ700 Maxim 1985
          Yamaha - XJ700 Maxim 1986
          Yamaha - XV1000 Virago 1984
          Yamaha - XV1000 Virago 1985
          Yamaha - XV1100 Virago 1986
          Yamaha - XV1100 Virago 1987
          Yamaha - XV1100 Virago 1988
          Yamaha - XV1100 Virago 1989
          Yamaha - XV1100 Virago 1990
          Yamaha - XV1100 Virago 1991
          Yamaha - XV1100 Virago 1992
          Yamaha - XV1100 Virago 1993
          Yamaha - XV1100 Virago 1994
          Yamaha - XV1100 Virago 1995
          Yamaha - XV1100 Virago 1996
          Yamaha - XV1100 Virago 1997
          Yamaha - XV1100 Virago 1998
          Yamaha - XV250 Virago 1997
          Yamaha - XV250 Virago 1998
          Yamaha - XV250 Virago 1999
          Yamaha - XV250 Virago 2000
          Yamaha - XV250 Virago 2001
          Yamaha - XV250 Virago 2002
          Yamaha - XV250 Virago 2003
          Yamaha - XV535 Virago V35 1990
          Yamaha - XV535 Virago V35 1993
          Yamaha - XV535 Virago V35 1994
          Yamaha - XV535 Virago V35 1995
          Yamaha - XV535 Virago V35 1996
          Yamaha - XV535 Virago V35 1997
          Yamaha - XV535 Virago V35 1998
          Yamaha - XV535S Virago 535 Special 1994
          Yamaha - XV535S Virago 535 Special 1995
          Yamaha - XV535S Virago 535 Special 1996
          Yamaha - XV535S Virago 535 Special 1997
          Yamaha - XV700 Virago 1984
          Yamaha - XV700 Virago 1985
          Yamaha - XV700C Virago 1986
          Yamaha - XV700C Virago 1987
          Yamaha - XV700S Virago 1986
          Yamaha - XVZ1300A Royal Star 1996
          Yamaha - XVZ1300A Royal Star 1997
          Yamaha - XVZ1300A Royal Star Boulevard 1998
          Yamaha - XVZ1300A Royal Star Boulevard 1999
          Yamaha - XVZ1300A Royal Star Cheyenne 1998
          Yamaha - XVZ1300A Royal Star Silverado 1998
          Yamaha - XVZ1300AT Royal Star Tour Classic 1996
          Yamaha - XVZ1300AT Royal Star Tour Classic 1997
          Yamaha - XVZ1300AT Royal Star Tour Classic 1998
          Yamaha - XVZ1300AT Royal Star Tour Classic 1999
          Yamaha - XVZ1300AT Royal Star Tour Classic II 1998
          Yamaha - XVZ1300LT Royal Star Tour Deluxe 1997
          Perhaps someone with one of these later model machines could check to see of the Older lens cover from their XS would fit onto the newer flasher, OR...the lens from the newer flasher would fit onto the older XS turn signal, then we could be sure whether it would or would NOT fit our turn signal housings?

I'll drop a PM to Tadracer to see what he says about where he got his?
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hi Guys, thank you for the compliments on my machine.

T.C. did send a PM and I thought I would post the reply here also.

I got the clear lenses from Dennis Kirk. They had no listing for a 79 1100 special but did have a clear lens listing for a 650 that shared the same amber lens part number with the 79 special. Sorry, I dont have the part #'s handy as I am in my office right now. But I cross referenced the number in one of their printed catalogues. I will look up the part # tonight and post it for those who are interested.

I have standard amber bulbs and even with just those, the clear lenses are much brighter....and look better too.

Mike
            Mike Giroir
            79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

More Research reveals results!

Okay,
              I had an old D/K catalog(2003), found the maker for the clear lenses were K&S Technologies, their web site is www.kandstech.com .

Couldn't use the DK #s! Searched the K&S site first for the OEM styled turnsignals for Yamaha, found the #25-4115 which is OUR style, see below. They (K&S) also tell you in the pop up window what Clear Lens "kit" will work, which is essentially the same # with "C" after it!
              You'll have to click on this link and then select the 25-4115 to see for yourself, they have protected it from direct linking!

This one is the dual filament signal, the single(25-4116) should be the same IF you're just looking for the clear lens cover kits, not the entire housing assembly! They also have the Maxim style 25-4195/6 depending on how many wires, 2 or 3. BTW, they appear to have the rectangular ones as well, but you all with the rectangular ones will need to review and select the one that looks like yours, but I would think it would be the 25-4065/6 set. They have another rectangular one, but it's corners look too sharp, it's the 25-4085/6. In either case, they have the lens dimensions, so you can measure yours and determine which one for sure it is!

Anyways, the 25-4110CKS is what is needed for the old style round turn signals. Maxim, 25-4060CKD for dual filament or CKS for single filament. The rectangulare ones are the 25-4060CKS/D. Surprisingly, they list this one kit for both types of rectangular lenses, even though they are different sizes? Reason why I'm stating the differences between dual or single is that you have to buy the KIT which comes with the AMBER bulbs, so if you are using the regular incandescent bulbs, might as well get ones you can use, vs. using your own LEDs!

Finally, the DK # 210160 IS the K&S series# 25-4110C for the old round ones, lenses only, not with amber bulbs! I know this will also fit the XJ signal housing, but won't be as deep, but DK doesn't carry them, nor do they carry the ones for the rectangular style! K&S does have a "contact us" page where they can tell you what distributor you can get your part from is!

The reason I didn't find them on DK at first was that I looked under "Clear Lens Alternatives" brand in the turn signal section, didn't know that K&S was the brand I needed to look under!
              Happy Shopping! They only had 4 on hand!
              T.C.

Turn Signal Lens
              Dennis Kirk Part #: 210160
              Manufacturer Part #: 25-4110C
              Clear Turn Signal Lens

Part Number - (Price)
              210160 - ($5.99)
              Quantity:
              4 on Hand

Your Price: $5.99
              T. C. Gresham

Comment

T.C.,
                Is this the rectangular one we need?
                K&S Part # 25-4066C

Take a look at this

Amish Buggy

Good stuff T.C.,
                nubee
                Nubee

Comment

Sorry T.C.,
                  Go Here
                  nubee
                  Nubee

Comment

The Dennis Kirk part #21-0160 are the round, clear lenses I have. They are the exact match to the old round amber lenses, except they are clear. They came with a gasket but no screws.

They are listed in their latest catalogue but like T.C. says, maybe they only have four left in stock. These are actually listed for an XS-650, 78-81, all models. So, maybe Mikes XS ????
                    Mike Giroir
                    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Hey Nubee,

In my third paragraph, I mentioned those 25-4065/6 series that you linked to, so yes, I'm pretty sure those are the ones.

That Lumiled link/PDF, are you saying that they are what are in your 3 LED taillight, and that's why it's plenty bright enough with only 3 LEDS, vs. 60...their claimed equivalent?! If that's the case, then I can see that your new tail light with only 3 LED's would be bright enough and visible enough.

However, I went ahead and ordered those 56 bulb ones from Superbrightleds, got them today actually, priority mail, only $5.00 shipping! I've got to make the brackets now and get them mounted to the back of my luggage bag. Once I do, I'll take some shots and post them in the Member's Lounge, under my Diamond Plate saddle bag thread of long ago!

Tad, MikesXS only has the yellow or red lenses, they don't have the clear!
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham

Comment

Superbright LED's extra tail/brake light mod!

Okay folks,

Like I said, been busy lately. Finally got the two 56 LED oval tail/brake lights with flange installed in the special modded brackets mounted to the NEW Rear Luggage Box on my bike!

I first tried taking photos this EVENING in the street, but my camera got overloaded trying to compensate for the darkness, just red blurrs!

So..I rolled it back into my garage AFTER my little run to check out my MikesXS coils. Turned on the overhead dual 200 watt bulbs, and then turned on a pair of 1000 watt work lights, from the side, and opened the garage door, and took a few shots of the lights from the rear.

The first is JUST the running lights, the second is the BRAKE LIGHTS! The 3rd light under the seat is my original modded LED inside the tail light housing, with the center of the red lens removed, but with the complete inner white diffusor. I used the same type of 56 LED Oval light, but I even removed the outer red lens from the LED light...the LEDs are red themselves, didn't need the extra lens cover, but you'll note that it still isn't anywhere as bright as the directly exposed Truck style oval LED lights!

So....I highly recommend the SuperbrightLED brand of this style of light, either INSIDE your OEM tail light, or mounted externally!
                        T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham

Comment

Nubee, what is that below your headlight on the forks? It almost looks like a second UPPER fork brace?
                          '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

T.C.,

Way cool T.C. and practical too !!

Puts my three little red lights to shame.

Wish John luck, he has had a bad storm come through his area tonight.

81xsproject,

Nothing special, no fork brace, just s. steal brake lines and caliper pistons.

Nubee

Comment

Great lookin' scooter in every way ... what's the story on the seat, if I may ask?
                              80G Mini-bagger
                              VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                              79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                              79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                              79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                              79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

thewiz,

There is a small maw and paw shop close to me called B and H Specialties . The owner of the shop became too ill to do the work, so after thirty years he is letting his daughter run the business.

She did a good job for me and cheep too ($65.00) !!

The color is Wineberry W/black accent

The color matched my tank pretty good.

The sissy bar pad cost me twice what seat cost (no pattern she said)

They did the XJ seat in the product evaluations.

I think you'll like them and I love giving this kind of company the business (everything is made in China now days ).

nubee
                                Nubee

Comment

Working...
                                X