Quick-n-easy LED tailight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick-n-easy LED tailight.

I recently completed a LED conversion on my 80g tailight. I WILL post pics soon I get it figured out but in the meantime I offer the following for your reading pleasure.

We all know the dual bulb tailight is a real watt/ amp sucker. (leave it alone Prom ).I have tried different plug in led bulbs with little sucess, so I did some modifien. I started with a new lens 'cause mine was showing it age. you may be able to skip that $11 expence. I purchased a Trucklite #6050 LED tailight and a 94993 pigtail. Lamp ran 'bout $32 and the tail was apx $4 from NAPA. Stay away from the el cheapos from AZ/Advance/O'Reillys. The Trucklite (Grote is another good one) lamp is well made, has potted electronics and 24 well focused LEDS and is designed to withstand vibrations. I pulled the plate off my taillight and unplugged all the wires ao I could work on it on the bench. I worked the OEM lamp sockets out of the plate, this took a little doing as the grommets have very little slack. I stashed them in my box-o-parts. Lining up the new lamp assembly in the lens, I had to grind some reliefs on the sides to allow the mounting screws to still slide thru. This did not compromise the intergrity of the lamp. I then laid a bead of clear silicone around the face of the lamp and then placed it inside the lens, pressing it down firmly to get a good seal. Let cure overnight. Next day I simply matched the pigtail to the OEM wiring inside the tailight housing. The pigtail unplugs form the lamp so this part was easy. I reattached the mounting plate, plugged in the lamp and reattached the lens. End result was a taillight with the same brightness as the bulbs and a brake light that will sear a cornea, all with VERY LITTLE amp draw. LEDS are real directional and I did not like the lack of side light the bulb layout offered. Also my licence plate light (or lack of) was a sure stop. I removed the lens and added a small licence lamp assembly from Advance. I siliconed it to the back of the new LED lamp assembly and wired it up. Reinstalled and found everything worked well. This conversion can be done without having to butcher up any hardparts, I could put everything back to stock with just the purchase of another lens if I wanted. NOTE: Specials will have a smaller lens and the lamp will not fit. I believe that there is a LED stop/tailight that will fit inside the specials but I did not research it very far 'cause I am just a Standard kinda guy.
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

I like it. So, where's the photos?
    Ken Talbot

Comment

"I second that motion...."

Where's the pics?
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Back from the dead, pics??????
        A special SG

Comment

Take a look at this one:
          MODEL 276: LED RECREATIONAL STOP & TAILLIGHT
          It's made for a Polaris Predator ATV.
          It looks like THIS on 80 SG. WhaDhYa think?
          Nubee

Comment

Prom, you want pix, you got pix!

Here's the poop from the TruckLite page, same style as what I used in my tech tip conversion.

Model 60 Stop/Turn/Tail & Front Park and Turn LED Oval Sealed 24 Diode
            Material:
            Polycarbonate lens & housing
            Light Source:
            Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs)
            Designed at 13.5v, .030/.380 amp
            Recommended Accessories:
            60704 closed back grommet
            94993 PL3 plug

Popular for owner/operator show trucks
            Uses standard Right Angle plug PL-3
            Unique LED array displays full pattern light output design
            Epoxy encapsulated electronics prevents damage from moisture & corrosion

Red lamp 6050
            Yellow, front park and turn lamp 6050A
            Red, clear lens stop/turn/tail lamp. 6051
            Yellow, clear lens front/park/turn lamp. 6051A
            I found these at Harbor Freight, see description. I'm going to put both(sold in pairs) on the back of my NEW luggage bag, along with the lower OEM one under my grab rail/seat!!

HaulMaster:
            SUBMERSIBLE LED TRAILER LIGHTS, 1 PAIR

Low profile design is less likely to get damaged
            Sealed waterproof construction is ideal for marine applications
            18 long lasting, super bright LEDs in each light
            Works on all trailers including those that are 80'' and wider
            Includes 25 ft. wiring harness, mounting hardware, license plate bracket and two tail lights
            12 volt, Light dimensions: 8'' L x 2-7/8'' H x 2-3/4'' D (x2), Overall weight: 3 lbs.

ITEM 94137-2VGA
            Reg: $49.99 ON SALE= $39.99
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Where can you buy their stuff? I clicked the online store deal but it says under construction.
              Last edited by rneal55555; 04-04-2007, 09:40 PM.
              Russ Neal
              Milton, NH
              04 GL1800 ABS
              04 Kawasaki Concours(Sold)
              99 Royal Star Venture(Sold)
              80 XS1000 Special(Sold)
              83 XJ750 Midnight Maxim(Sold)
              80 XS1100G(Sold)
              81 XS 650 Special(Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by nubee
                Take a look at this one:
                Where can you buy their stuff? I clicked the online store deal but it says under construction.
                Russ Neal
                Milton, NH
                04 GL1800 ABS
                04 Kawasaki Concours(Sold)
                99 Royal Star Venture(Sold)
                80 XS1000 Special(Sold)
                83 XJ750 Midnight Maxim(Sold)
                80 XS1100G(Sold)
                81 XS 650 Special(Sold)

Comment

Hey Nubee,

I think it looks okay, but I'm a bit concerned about it ONLY HAVING 3 LEDS?? I know it says it has lots of reflector technology, but still only 3 leds. The others I posted about have 18 to 24, and they still only draw .3 to .38 amps for the entire assembly!!! And possibly a bit more visible?? YMMV?
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham

Comment

It looks good! Of course it needs to be bright enough to be seen in daylight and at angles. How does it perform?

Originally posted by nubee
                    Take a look at this one:
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I think the harbor freight units are kinda cheesy. I had looked at em for my boat trailer and opted for the higher priced units. TC's conversion tip is really good. He put alot of effort in it and it turned out great. My conversion was the easy way out.

Kids gotta go to school friday but I have the day off. Gonna work on my picture posting skills, or lack of them.
                      When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Second thoughts?

Hey Webb,

The lights you used are like the ones I used. Like you said, the easy way is to just mount it inside the reflector housing without cutting up the reflector or the LED fixture. I tested the view both ways, and even though "they" say that the red color of the tail light lens cover doesn't interfere with the brightness of the lights, it does have prism shaped diffusors cut into the inside surface, and there is a clear lens diffusor inside the lens cover as well.

I tried the LEDS deep in the housing far away from the surface of the tail lens cover, as well as right up against the lens cover. Mounting the LED farther away from the tail lens increases the diffusor effect of the lens cover, which I think makes the whole tail light look brighter vs. mounting the LED directly against the inside of the tail lens cover!

My quandry is that I have built a luggage rack frame between my saddlebag supports, and have a new 21" wide, 13" deep, 9" high luggage box(diamond plate of course) and I want to mount a pair of LED lights across the back of it. I don't want to cut into the box with big cutouts for mounting the recessed style oval lights. I have some spare diamond plate left over from my saddlebag project, and I think I can add them the rack/box similar to the extra mounting brackets they sell for trucks, and won't mind cutting oval holes in them, and then bolting them to the box/luggage rack.

I first thought of using the Harbor Freight ones cause I'm pretty sure they have 2 mounting bolts that stick out of the back of the light housings that I could use to mount to the luggage box, but they are rather BIG, over 2.75" deep and will stick out quite a bit from the box=FUGLY! So....the 1" deep Ovals are looking better now! The ones that Superbrightleds.com sell are still considerably cheaper than the Trucklite ones, have 56 LEDs in their housing, are quite bright. They are also rated for 12volt systems. Those Trucklite ones state are rated for 13.5 volt TRUCK systems, not sure how that would affect their performance with our weaker 12 volt machines?
                        T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham

Comment

rneal55555,

You can get this tail light at Bike Bandit . The manufacturer is Polaris and the PART# is 2410572. I bought mine at a local Polaris dealership.

T.C.,

I'd say it puts out about 90% of the original ( brighter than original on stop and dimmer on running) and still has good visibility day and night. My next project is to replace the amber 1157s in the rear signals with these:

from Custom Dynamics .
                          If I leave the 1157s ( incandescent ) in the fairing signals as is, will this provide enough resistance to flash everything and still keep the rest of the system stock?

Thanks everyone,
                          nubee
                          Nubee

Comment

Hey Nubee,

Where'd you get the clear lens covers for your turn signals?

Yourself being an electrician, I'm surprised that you don't get some kits from SUPERBRIGHTLEDS.com and circuit boards and make them yourself? At $115.00 a pair for those fancy dual red/amber signal/brake lights that's some fancy lighting! You could buy a complete extra set of turn signals to mount with LED's and still have $$ leftover!

Also, don't know how much current draw the OEM signal flasher needs, I would think you could find a way to measure/test that before ordering those LED's to make sure it will work, if you are that set on keeping the OEM flasher to maintain the self cancelling feature?
                            T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham

Comment

T.C.,

There is a long story behind those lenses
                              Nubee

Comment

Working...