Oil leak - New head gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil leak - New head gasket?

Oil is leaking pretty badly (seeping) in the area circled in red. Does this mean I need to replace the head gasket?

Btw, this is on Nina, my 'new' E model. I just got her running and close to road ready, but I certainly can't ride her with a leak this bad.
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Hey Snow,

Congrats on getting your fingers on "Sticky"....aka Nina!!

Hate to ask, but have you checked the torque on that lower nut, should be 14 ft/lbs? That area as you should now know after splitting your cases is not a high pressure area, just being flung from the cam chain. Have you checked and retorqued the other head nuts, or checked the compression?? If it's good, then you might just try putting some oil resistant sealant all around that area to try to get it sealed.....not necessarily RTV!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Yes, the first thing I did was check torque on the nut.

I went ahead and pulled the head and replaced the headgasket as I had a spare from a complete kit I had gotten for my other bike that I don't need (she gets the big bore cometic).

When I got the head off I could see that the two parts that stick out on the gasket were not in one piece. I'm not sure if that happened while I was taking it apart or if that is the cause of the oil leak, but it doesn't matter.

To be on the safe side (and hopefully I didn't mess myself up), after carefully removing all traces of gasket using a razor blade, I put a very thin bead of Yamabond 4 around the cam valley on the cylinder side including where those two "lower" head bolts go.

I had previously done a compression check and it came out:

After I get the cam timing set tomorrow, I'll go ahead and do another check just for giggles. Hopefully the Yamabond won't cause any leaks.

Comment

Well,

I didn't know you had a spare gasket, that's make it easy!

Yamabond is great stuff, I used it to seal my SOFA after putting the O-ring groove in it, seemed to have worked so far!!

Since you had the head off, you should have done a valve lapping to help insure a good top end seal, that way any low value of compression could then be attributed to the rings!? But I can understand your urgency to get it back together and on the road ASAP since your previous main ride is still getting itself together!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I'm glad *someone* understands! It's been 3 months since I began tearing Maya down... it has been worse than cigarette withdrawal!

I kinda assumed ( uh oh, there I go again...) that Dave may have done lapping when he replaced the valves after she threw her cam chain way back when, so didn't think much of it. If she has compression/leakdown problems, I'll definitely look into that after I get Maya up...learned my lesson about not having a spare running bike

So far I've *very* impressed with the Yamabond - I used it a couple days ago to put Nina's tensioner gasket on (I put it on with just gasket and it leaked oil) and tonight it just simply popped off with gasket fully intact!

Comment

Nina, my 'new' E model

couldn't but help notice the aftermarket headers with the custom spacer on number three cylinder

mro
            btw
            do they come in that red/brown color stock???

Comment

Heh, you do what you gotta do to close up exhaust leaks Those "spacers" actually came with the exhaust bolts in a little clear plastic container

Comment

New headgasket seems to have done the trick - no more oil leak. Also, I ran a compression check again after replacing the hg. Here's the original numbers:

Here's with a new hg:

Guess the hg was damaged!

Now to change my rear inner tube (just got back from a run to the Yamaha dealer - only place open past 3pm on Saturday)

Comment

compressed

First set of numbers are close to stock.
                  Second sounds like you could have a "big bore kit"

mro
                  btw
                  While I would not re-use a head gasket on a customers machine, have used em a few times on engines that were mine when the gasket looked in good shape. I always spray a thin coat of copper on em first which will helps them seal.

Comment

If get about 155 all the way across on mine after letting it sit a few days.
                    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                    Acta Non Verba

Comment

Btw, this bike had a hone and ring job about 2,000 miles ago IIRC if that makes a difference

Comment

Working...
                      X