Louder and Brighter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Louder and Brighter?

This is my first post so I would like to say hello to everyone on the forums.

I have been reading the forums for a week and a half now just about every chance I get. I recently purchased a 1979 XS11 and I am really excited about the miles ahead. This is the first bike I have owned since moving out to California (from the midwest) and I have been told that it pays to have a bike that is louder and brighter than my completely stock bike so that you are more likely to be noticed by the cell phone wielding, land yacht driving people out here.

So this is what I am thinking...

Louder:
    I found Yamaha "4 into 1" systems on Old Bike Barn and I was wondering if there have been any experiences with these or if there is another product that is better suited?

Brighter:
    I figure that if I switch to a HID headlight it will grab the attention of other driver if anything will. It seems that many companies out there make a replacement for "all other Yamahas" up from 1982 and up (H4 bulb I believe) but haven't found anything that dates far enough back for a 79.

Moving here from Kansas I can say traffic is very different, but I am sure that smart, defensive riding can take you a long way.
    ~~~scopey

Where in CA?

Scopey, where in CA are you. There's lots of us here who like to meet other XSives for rides and wrenchin'.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

"Welcome Aboard, Scopey."

I'm of the mind that I like my bike relatively quiet so I can hear what's going on around me... but I'm known to be contrary.
      Many threads about Mac 4 into 1 pipes and such. Try the search function, or wait till someone 'pipes" up with answers.
      I'm not an exhaust Guru, so I'll shut up.

These bikes have very low-output charging systems, so you have to watch just how powerful a bulb you use. Try the search function again regarding "headlights".
      Some of us have switched all our other bulbs to LEDs to free up some extra juice.
      I'm not an electrical Guru, so I'll shut up.

I'm the Guru of insults and mockery... but I've had a long day, am tired, so I'll shut up.
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

As a 3rd generation California native, I'll tell you now that louder does NOT work!!!
        A HID bulb will help, as it's a low amp bright light. Loud pipes just make it easy for the cops to trace you, but the soccer moms still won't know you are there.
        You need to learn, you are invisible. NO ONE SEES YOU WHEN YOU RIDE!!! NOISE DOES NOT HELP!!
        Please let us know what part of the state you live in, as we ARE putting together some fun rides.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Switching the other lights to LED before trying out a HID headlight would be a good route. I have been using the search function on the site for the exhaust. While I found good information on jetting to compinsate for different exhaust systems I had a hard time finding name brands to look into.

For some reason it slipped my mind to do a search of the forums on headlights; that was my mistake.

I am located in Lakewood near the 605 and the 405 for right now.

How often does everyone have group rides in their respective areas? I thought about riding out to the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Association ride out by Fraizer Park but I have to work that weekend
          ~~~scopey

Comment

April 13/14 in Mariposa (Yosemite). Bring tent and sleeping bag.
            Lake Tahoe on Labor Day weekend has become popular.
            Pat Kelly
            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

a bike that is louder

Welcome to CA CA land
              and to the forum.....

Only difference I've found between my hot rod XS (very loud 4 into 1) and my stock 80G is that I've been followed by the sherif once and a CHP came outa hiding and tagged along for a half mile to see if I was into stupid things. (Just lucky I noticed both before they noticed me)

mro
              but I've had a long day, am tired, so I'll shut up.
              So P rom, your just an ex-hausted, quite, electrical challenged Guru today???
              Last edited by mro; 03-23-2007, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Not a real fan of loud pipes. You might find them a real drag on a long trip and the only attention they seems to attract is from cars with lightbars on the roof. I have used Fiamm electric horns for years, VERY loud and easy to mount in the stock location. Some members use air horns, again very loud but mounting trumpets and compressor can be a hassle. HID lights can prove to have some mounting issues 'cause you you have to mount the ballast somewhere. Higher power H4 bulbs is a easy swap. You can find them in many wattage variations. XS11's have weak charging systems so you gotta watch how much you add. I run a 65/100w. H4 bulb. I rarely run the high beam portion in town. I do sometimes flash between the two when I come up on a busy intersection to attract some attention. You might want to consider a headlight modulator also. I know I notice them on bikes, but then again, I am lookin for em.
                When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

The more I hear about louder pipes the more it sounds like an unwise decision. It would make sense considering the only true proponents of it are a few Harley riders I know with a touch of "look at me" syndrome.

I think I will go with the H4 65/100 watt bulb that webbcraft described and LED rear lights and turn signals once I find some that fit.

The modulator is a great idea for being seen!!! I saw one on a crotch rocket just this past week and it definately grabs your attention. I never saw those where I was in Kansas so it definately grabbed my attention.
                  ~~~scopey

Comment

Re: &quot;Welcome Aboard, Scopey.&quot;

Originally posted by prometheus578

I'm not an electrical Guru, so I'll shut up.

I'm the Guru of insults and mockery... but I've had a long day, am tired, so I'll shut up.
                    But, Prom, you do exude a lot of HOT AIR at times!

MRO, can't believe you missed that opening?

Hey Scopey,
                    Have you seen the tech tips from scrolling down from the MAIN FORUM PAGE, not just the links in the left yellow column? You will find some MOD tips regarding the LED conversion and where you can get them for decent prices. Webbcraft just posted about his tail light conversion he did, not sure if he's seen the tech tips either?

If yours still has the OEM headlight lens, you can make it brighter with a clear lens conversion available from MikesXS. I'm running standard 55/60 headlight bulb, but I also have a pair of 55watt halogen aux lights, and can flick them on to get more attention. I Recommend that setup, cause the extra lights are WIDER, so more visible to folks with less than 20/20 vision.....FYI, you only have to have 20/70 vision in only 1 eye, other can be blind, and only have to have total of 70 degrees of peripheral vision, 35 to each side left and right, to be legal to drive a car in the US in the Daytime!!

And I'm running 2 sets of LED tail lights for that high low effect, like the extra one in the back of most cars rear windshields! These are the LED turn signals as well as LED license plate lights.

Your machine has an aux fuse terminal. The OEM horn plugs are not very large, and can have trouble supplying the amps needed to drive loud horns. You can use those terminals though to trigger a relay wired from the AUX terminals, so you get direct power to the horns when you want/need them! J.A.T.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Area rides...

Scobey, there are a few XSives close to you and we do do rides most weekends when the weather is good. This weekend it's to Julian from Temecula on Sat. I'm thinking of going to Colorado around June 1st with Uncle Spot. There are lots of great rides here locally.

On another note, I have some LED turn signals for the back with a LED flasher if you're interested.
                      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                      Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                      Drilled airbox
                      Tkat fork brace
                      Hardly mufflers
                      late model carbs
                      Newer style fuses
                      Oil pressure guage
                      Custom security system
                      Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Good photos TC

MRO, can't believe you missed that opening?
                        Guess I'm still a newbe in the pun catagory..... Little better in the SmartA$$ one tho and haven't even mentioned anything about VESPA riders for a while

Loud Hardley riders seem to be getting a pass from local cops around here, but on a sport bike they do seem to pay a little more attension. Think they like the chase?? Maybe not so much of a challenge going after a Hardley!?

Hayward is one of the more "financially challenged" cities around the bay, but they do have there own police helo....

mro

Comment

i can't seem to get rid of my brake squeal and i like that, even after drilling the discs, it is high frequency and i think it will penetrate and pollute ambient sound, they will know i'm comming to a stop.

my headlight modualtor flickers and it does get attention, without drawing more power, my guess, it turns down the draw.it s with not so much money 27 bucks and your time.

oh yeah slow down, if you are concerned about safety, if not, go for it, haul a$$!
                          "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                          History
                          85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                          79 yamaha xs1100f
                          03 honda cbr 600 f4
                          91 yamaha fzr 600
                          84 yamaha fj 1100
                          82 yamaha seca 750
                          87 yamaha fazer
                          86 yamaha maxim x
                          82 yamaha vision
                          78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Oh, pickin' on us Vespa riders again, huh?
                            Kick a man when he's down, huh?
                            (is there any other way?)

Comment

Emergency thread in the "Other bike discussion" forum! Big sale!
                              (No, not on Vespas'!)

Comment

Working...
                              X