1st gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st gear

i hear that the 82 xj 1100 has first gear problems. and the one i just bought wont shift down to first. is all i have to do is buy the 1st gear sprocket ?

The gear problem is found on several XS models, but more often on Specials and XJs. Usually involves 2nd gear, so is known as the '2nd gear fix'. Symptom is a 'skipping' or slipping under acdeleration. 1st and 5th gears can also be affected (5th gear wheel is used when the bike is in 2nd gear) and if there is wear in the forks or shifting drum, 1st gear won't work well, either. For several articles that deal with this repair, see the Tech Tips page:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/forumdispl...?s=&forumid=39

Lots of good info here on doing the repairs. In many cases the gears can be cleaned up and re-used, or you can buy new parts from Yamaha. Not only the XS/XJ11s had this problem, other Yamahas from the same era have the same problem, including 750 triples.

FWIW, a dealer will tell you the engine cases have to be split (engine dismanteled) to repair the tranny. Not always true. The procedures outlined don't require such a drastic approach, and several members have done this repair on their bikes.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Hey there Kevin,

I helped out a guy in my town with a newly acquired XJ1100 with 1st gear problem, it would shift into 1st, but wouldn't stay in gear, kept popping out. My old 81XS-SH also developed the 1st gear miss, then it progressed to my second gear as well.

I did the dremmel fix on both bikes without splitting the cases, but it was still a fairly involved job. As for it not going into 1st, Jerry mentioned the shift drum, I am wondering also about the dowel pins on the outside edge of the shift drum that the shift pawl grabs to turn the drum, could it be damaged, missing??

Someone posted about one broken on theirs which prevented them from shifting into 5th, could be similar!?!?
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Other than not going into first, does the shifter seems to work okay other wise? I.e. - Does the shifter action action itself seem normal so that when you shift up or down, the lever returns to its middle position?
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
        X