Omg Love At First Ride!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omg Love At First Ride!!!!!!!

WOW today was a remarkable day today. Finally after TWO years of owning my XJ 1100 I had that baby on the road. Unfortunately ive had little time to work on the bike myself and I was only able to do the routine maintainence such as airfilter oil plugs and final / middle gear oil. Well Finally I was able to have the bike serviced by a qualified mechanic who is also a co worker. Needles to say he did a terrific job the bike is running like a champ after he did a brake and carb overhaul. The bike runs so smooth and has an incredible sound. I have to ask as never having ridden these bikes. Whats the deal with 2nd gear? My buddy also told me about 2nd gear. It seems as if you try to shift into 2nd gear around 3000rpm its engages hard. near 2000 rpm it shifts like butter. Basically im having to shift around 10mph out of 1st gear then right into 2nd gear near 2000-2500rpm other wise it kinda chatters and shifts a bit hard. Are you guys experiencing this. Ive read a bit about 2nd gear woes. Now let me tell you also that the bike has only 1150 miles on it. Is 2nd gear just the gear you have to baby. is it better to skip 2nd gear and just shift into 3rd if rpms are too high. I am also very used to riding my 2000 suzuki bandit 600 which runs at much higher rpms. Any thoughts???

reroute, adjust and lube the cable, motor too young to have gear probs imho
    "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
    History
    85 Yamaha FJ 1100
    79 yamaha xs1100f
    03 honda cbr 600 f4
    91 yamaha fzr 600
    84 yamaha fj 1100
    82 yamaha seca 750
    87 yamaha fazer
    86 yamaha maxim x
    82 yamaha vision
    78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Hey OpFlash,

Are you using the clutch when you are shifting?? These gears are square cut, not like modern synchromesh type gears. I have no problem shifting at 5, 6, 7+krpm from 1st to 2nd, you just have to blip the throttle a touch to release the engine tension, and USE THE CLUTCH. But I have to say that I've speed shifted at same rpms without the clutch as well, but yes, it does clunk!

The 2nd gear problem is that once it's in gear, it likes to slip out of gear, shouldn't be a problem with your VIRGIN engine/Tranny!
      The gear box is very clunky, and you are passing thru neutral from 1st to 2nd, so you can get some additional noise. A friend riding behind me once thought he was going to see tranny parts falling out from the loud sound of my bike as I was shifting thru the gears!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

maybe it needs breaking in
        "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
        History
        85 Yamaha FJ 1100
        79 yamaha xs1100f
        03 honda cbr 600 f4
        91 yamaha fzr 600
        84 yamaha fj 1100
        82 yamaha seca 750
        87 yamaha fazer
        86 yamaha maxim x
        82 yamaha vision
        78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

thats my thoughts too with the motor being very young. However the clutch cable is pretty tight but i am pulling that clutch in with every shift.

Comment

Hey TC, I never hear of feel any clunking when I use clutchless shifting at those rpms. IT feels about the same wheather I use the clutch or not.
            OpFlash-When you have a 2nd gear problem, it wont't really engage but just chatter or jump out of gear when you open it up. When it gets really bad, it won't really engage at all but just spin making a lot of noise. If your's stays engaged when you open it up all the way, you are fine. Most of it is shifting technique
            United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
            If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
            "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
            "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
            Acta Non Verba

Comment

Pxpls.
              1981 XS1100SH

Comment

Working...
              X