Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Buying a clutch kit

Read most discussions on the clutch.
    I'm ordering a new Barnett clutch kit from a local dealer(Harley for Gods sake) for $150 Has the 6 coil springs.
    1. On my '79 XS1100 G (50k) do i need to order and install that extra steel plate. If so where do I buy it?
    2. Barnet lists only one kind of kit, 6 springs. is that good enough for an old man?
    3. Partsnmore does not list a kit, just plates and springs seperately.
    4. Am I forgetting something or can I order it from another source?. javascript:smilie('')
    Just trying to get it right the first time.

If it's the Barnett kit with frictions and steels, you most likely won't need the extra steel. I've heard folks say that the Barnetts grab very strongly, along with new springs, it should be just like or better than new. IF you're just getting the frictions and springs for that price....ouch, but still above applies.

I've read about folks that have a hard time getting them to actually fully release, tend to crawl, so you may find it better to shift into neutral at stops, vs. trying to hold the clutch in for a minute or so!

But you're right, mostly folks just by the plates and springs separately. The extra steel technique is for folks using the OEM style frictions, not necessarily the performance kind. JC Whitney also sells the frictions and springs. The extra steel can be gotten from Bike Bandit or Yam. Dealer.
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I just learned from Skippy 344 that the carbon fiber clutch from an '01-04 R1 is the same as the one the XS11 takes. He has one installed in his bike now.

Comment

First off, welcome to the addiction that has captured all of us here. There are some great tech tips on clutch replacement. Be VERY careful when you reinstall the "star" plate, they break very easily and are kinda scarce. I just replaced the clutch on my 80g using OEM plates and springs. I scored the plates on Ebay and the the local Yamarobber dealer had the springs and gasket in stock. So far I am well pleased with the results. I checked the old clutch plates (they had 68k on them) and every single one was well within specs. The springs were trashed so I coulda got away with just replacing them. The extra steel is a personal decision. I chose not to, but then again I don't ride as hard as I used to, much.
        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

r1 clutch

can you give more details on this info?
          MDRNF
          79F.....Not Stock
          80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Chop

I don't have all the details, but I would suggest contacting Skippy344, and ask him. Him and Hippy Dave installed it on Skippy's bike recently. They did say that when they were clutch shopping that they discovered that the P/Ns cross matched. Cool, huh?

Comment

The clutch parts are not scarce in my shop. I have a least 4 spare complete unassembled clutches if anyone needs one. Ebay is not the best deal on these parts.. $30 includes shipping in continental USA andreas

Comment

Barnett clutch info

OK Folks, this is what I'm running in my '80SG:

The friction plates that Barnett bundles for the 1998- 2003 Yamaha R1 kit are the YPK-5, which are the same friction plates as are in the XS11.

Barnett friction plates kit part # YPK-55CF (for Carbon Fiber). This kit comes with 8 frictions, and that's it.

You then have to buy 7 steels, Barnett part #YP-20

And finally the 6 Barnett springs, MT-45-6. This is a pack of 6 springs.

All told, I spent about $180 for all these parts.

And let me tell ya, this clutch is tight! I can't make it slip, even with SWMBO and me onboard, and the Packmule fully loaded!

Let me now if you have any questions.

greg
                Gone but never Forgotten:
                1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
                2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
                2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

sweet

Carbon fiber has a higher friction value than kevlar(grabs) but will wear out much quicker under the heaver load (xs11- r1 weight)...but the CF may have other fibers, who knows....how many miles have you got on it?
                  MDRNF
                  79F.....Not Stock

Comment

miles on the CF clutch

Hey XSChop,

I have about 500 miles so far, I just put it in a little over week ago, right before the Meeting of the Minds trip to Fort Worth.

greg
                    1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

nice

I will put a kevlar(maybe CF now) clutch in the 1200cc project I want to hookup all the extra horses so I can burn the 200 tire goin on....I have to do it at least once.....
                      MDRNF
                      79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Just watch out for the Barnet friction plate kits. I bought one that was one plate short of a full deck and they were very thin to boot!
                        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

on the mike my man

hey skip did you happen to mic the friction plates and compare to xs11 specs?
                          MDRNF
                          79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Sorry, did not.

I just wanted to get Packmule back together. But did caliper the springs and they were 43mm, a long way from 41.1mm. So, I am confident that the pack will be OK.

By the way, Hippie Dave did this before me, with much success! He did is a while ago, and is still able to do wheelies, as was demonstrated last weekend at Meeting of the Minds. He probably has 2 to 3 thousand miles on his Barnett clutch.

I'll keep everybody posted.

greg
                            1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Working...
                            X