air filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air filters

Is it worth putting individual cleaners on ie K&N instead of the stock air box?
    Does it make a big difference? I expect it easier to do certain work without having to pull the air box.
    Si Parker
    '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Big difference..

The big difference will be the hours or days it takes you to get it to run decent again. If you still have the stock airbox you should keep it. Remember, stock is best.....
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

I agree with Dick

Somebody a whole lot smarter than us designed it that way for a reason. If you think you need more airflow, then drill a couple of hole in the bottom of the airbox.

Comment

Along these same lines, I relaced my spark plugs yesterday and they were all a nice light gray color. I have a stock filter in the airbox and a four into one exhaust. I have a K&N filter for the airbox.

My question: Will installation of the K&N filter into my airbox require me to have to rejet my carburetors?
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

i went to uni foam filters and went back to stock, for more than drivabilty reasons
          "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
          History
          85 Yamaha FJ 1100
          79 yamaha xs1100f
          03 honda cbr 600 f4
          91 yamaha fzr 600
          84 yamaha fj 1100
          82 yamaha seca 750
          87 yamaha fazer
          86 yamaha maxim x
          82 yamaha vision
          78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

My bike rockets with my uni pods. And I rejetted per the little formula in the tech tips and that was the end of it. Besides, while the stock formula is nice for the lack of jetting questions, my bake came with 4-1 exhaust, so I never would have been able to just jet per stock specs. Stock it stock. Another other additions/manipulations to the equations (KandN, drilled box) require consideration. But don't be AFRAID of the pods, they are not a big deal. Besides, chances are that some rad guru on here has the same set-up dialed in on their bike. TC was my reference, as he too has an '81h, running pods, with 4-1 exhaust, at near sea level elevations.
            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

What does that mean, Mason?

Originally posted by mason79
              i went to uni foam filters and went back to stock, for more than drivabilty reasons
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Wow awesome amount of replies. I think I'll stay stock air and 4 to 2 exhaust - once I buy my new exhaust system to replace the one that basically fell apart in my hands when I took it off.

Thanks fellas.
                Si Parker
                '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

A word of warning on drilling air boxes. Air flows in from the inside of the air filter. This allows for a small area to drill holes. If you drill a bunch or holes across the whole bottom of the air box, your gonna suck dirt.
                  When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Originally posted by skids
                    What does that mean, Mason?

to me cheapened with noisy intake sound,

loss the velocity stacks benefits, maybe more torque with it.

the gains of pods when dialed-in may not be that much better than stock in real world performance, and i ain't good enuff to gain anything on a drag race with it, too inconsistant with launchs and shifting, never been on the track.

lost power throughout rpm range even tho the plugs looked fine,

crankcase,emission, vent hoses dangling, and polluting the air more, i think they call this stuff emission control, rudementary as it is.

fear of falling off, and losing a pod, always checking to see, pita.

greasy to the touch,

can’t wash the bike,without bagging the pods

hard to tune, that's my fault, not smart enough

in dusty conditions ;traps dirt,even without the bike running, because of the sticky oil, my hunch it it gets dirtier than an enclosed/close system

carbs weight adds pressure on holders/ manifolds, no real problem, maybe imagined, but still... it's your call
                    "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                    History
                    85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                    79 yamaha xs1100f
                    03 honda cbr 600 f4
                    91 yamaha fzr 600
                    84 yamaha fj 1100
                    82 yamaha seca 750
                    87 yamaha fazer
                    86 yamaha maxim x
                    82 yamaha vision
                    78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Originally posted by webbcraft2150
                      A word of warning on drilling air boxes. Air flows in from the inside of the air filter. This allows for a small area to drill holes. If you drill a bunch or holes across the whole bottom of the air box, your gonna suck dirt.
                      Webb is right. I shoulda specified where to drill the holes. I have two 1/2 in holes drilled in the unfiltered side of the airbox. That would be the area inside the filter it self. I also procured two 1/2 inch firewall plugs, just in case I didn't like the extra holes.

Comment

Mason has a good point about unsupported carb wieght on the boots. This was an issue that I didn't like about the pods. So, I made a small bracket that bolts below the regulator to the back carb rack. Solid as rock now!
                        Last edited by 81xsproject; 10-19-2007, 09:10 AM.
                        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
                        X