XS1100 Venture??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS1100 Venture??

Hi, anyone ever heard of a XS1100 Venture 1978-1981? I was told it used the same frame and motor as the XS but it came with full dress like the later Venture's.
    Mark Van Winkle
    Spokane, WA
    K7HPT
    79SF

Re: XS1100 Venture??

Mark Van Winkle wrote:
    anyone ever heard of a XS1100 Venture 1978-1981? I was told it used the same frame and motor as the XS but it came with full dress like the later Venture's.
    The Venturer was a 1981 XS11 Standard, full dress model. The tank was slightly larger at 6.3 US gallons, and can be identified by a slightly taller, more squared-off profile. Check this link for the original Yamaha Venturer 1100 brochure. This tank also appeared on earlier European Standards, such as Chris Rawson's '79.

Links to pictures of many other models can be found in the XS/XJ Eleven Brochure and Magazine Photos index and the XS11.COM Pictures page.

Last edited by Bill; 10-17-2002, 03:59 AM.
    Bill K.
    1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
    1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

You are ringing a faint memory bell, Mark. I think the older feller up the street has a Yamaha he called a Venture. I might bet a buck that is what it is called. It is remarkably like a older Goldwing, heaters, nice stereo, king / queen seat with arm rests, big fairing, cruise. I believe it is a 4 across 1100 also, and if I remember he said it was an 80? maybe an 82? It has been several years since I was even close to it. I should get chummy with this guy, in case... This bike looks like it was just manufactured. He absolutely babies it, spends as much time cleaning and polishing as he does riding. And if I remember he goes out on a Saturday morning and comes back when it suits him.

I think I remember it that way. If I get up there I will see if I can get a look at it.
      Marty in NW PA
      Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
      Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
      This IS my happy face.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyA
        I might bet a buck that is what it is called. It is remarkably like a older Goldwing, heaters, nice stereo, king / queen seat with arm rests, big fairing, cruise.
        There is a Venturer touring model for an 81 XS11 and there are Ventures that took over for the xs11's in later years. Ask Lanny about his couch on wheels =;-)
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
        03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

Those later Ventures are not inline fours like the XS, but V4's based on the VMax motor. FYI
          Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hart
            Those later Ventures are not inline fours like the XS, but V4's based on the VMax motor. FYI
            Yeah... and I'd get one over the goldwing any time... there are a few around here, but only a few and rarely one is sold. I guess I'll have to import one.

LP
            If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
            (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

This is the same bike I have (1981 XS1100 Venturer). This was the Standard but with a factory full touring package. I believe its the only year the touring package was availabe as an actually model of its own. You could get the touring parts added as extras on the '80 model.
              Here is an original ad (posted on this web site)

[b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
              [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
              The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

That guy up the street has a different looking model. if I remember. My mistake. I will check it out when I get a chance. Gotta stop relying on my memory.
                Marty in NW PA
                This IS my happy face.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyA
                  That guy up the street has a different looking model. if I remember. My mistake. I will check it out when I get a chance. Gotta stop relying on my memory.
                  This one?

http://www.motorcities.com/contents/00IJ9364008197.html

Now THAT's a touring rig... wanna wanna wanna.... 1200/1300 V4 engine, comfy and it looks more like a bike than a car. That's why the only good looking goldwing was 1200 aspencade.

LP

Comment

Now that is a clean Venture.

The Iron Butt Assoc. has a links page all about the Venture. Many LD Riders think the Venture (original one) is perhaps the best touring moto ever built.

See the page here.
                    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
                    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
                    The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

YEah, strom, that is sure pretty.

Ok, I gave up and called my neighbor. He has a 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale, 4 across water cooled. Compressor, computer, CB, cruise, tape deck, AM-FM, king/queen seat with back rests, rear speakers, and on and on. He bought it two years old 1,000 miles on it for, are you ready?, $6200 dollars. From a dealer. Some guys have all the luck. Color is a tan-gold. He refuses to sell it.
                      Marty in NW PA
                      This IS my happy face.

Comment

On the link Wayne gave, there's one for sale.. also on ebay. Same price range, lots of pics and two video clips. Looks REALLY great. I think it's a 1992.
                        Current ebay price was 3,5k, but reserve wasn't met yet.

Check it out!

PS: These things have a V4 engine. Not inline 4.

LP

Comment

I asked him, he said 4 across. I asked if it was a V-4, he said 4 across. Now, he IS older than me. I will try to get a look at it soon.
                          Marty in NW PA
                          This IS my happy face.

Comment

Working...
                          X