Hard to Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard to Start

Im new to the site and happy to be here. Cuz I need help with my bike. I just got a 1980 XS1100 Midnight Special for a really good deal about a month ago. The bike looks really good. Almost like new but it has been sitting in a garage for three years and Im sure the carbs need a good cleaning. When I tired to start it I noticed that the starter wasnt cranking the motor over very well. I put in a new High Output Drag battery. But it still wasnt cranking over very strong....about the same as when I first got it. So I cleaned up around the grounds. The bike turns over alot better but it still doesnt sound like it cranks over very fast. This is my first 1100 and Im not sure if it cranks slow because its a bigger motor or I still have a problem.
    Im not here in this world for a long time.....but I am here for a good time.

Kinda sounds like the starter is dragging. You may need to pull it out, and clean/replace the brushes, and commutator. I recently replaced mine, 'cuz it was cranking slowly to not at all. I found worn brushes, dirty commutator, and oil everywhere through out the starter. I had a spare starter, and installed it...problem solved. I may go to the local starter/alternator shop and see if I can match up some brushes for it.

Comment

John,

Parts n more sells the brush kit.

Comment

Thanks Randy

But being the frugal (cheap ba$trd) that I am, I may able to find them cheaper locally, and if I have to, file them to size so they fit the brush holders, but thanks for the tip. Hey, have you ever seen one that is full of engine oil? Must be a seal/o ring behind the drive gear that is leaking, huh?

Comment

John,

That's a new one, must be a seal completely missing to fill up the starter. IMHO, there's only splashing oil at the front of the starter, not under pressure!

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I was really hoping that it wasnt the starter. I had that thing out once before when I picked up the bike. Its a little pain getting it lined back up to go back in. It looked brand new but I'll pull that thing apart and take a look. The starter relay looks alittle old. Could that have something to do with it to?...... Also does anyone know what local store would sell Chem Dip so I can clean up the carbs. The only place I found so far is online and if there is anything I should know about using it.

Comment

Js80xs11,
              DO NOT USE CHEMDIP ON YOUR CARBS!!!
              you can clean the carbs with a spray carb cleaner, and NOT ruin the seals you won't and can't remove. I use Berryman's B12 Chemtool, some of the other members use Seafoam. They both work well, and should be easy to find.
              Read the "Tech Tips" from the MAIN forum page, and it should give you all the info you need to do a good job, without ruining the rubber in the carbs.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

chem dip
                .../me shivers in horror...

Might want to consider canned spray carb cleaner (ala gumout) and compressed air... no matter how well you think you got all the rubber bits out, there's always something that gets destroyed during a dip...
                1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

DiverRay & Snow

Thanks for the heads up on the Chem Dip. Good thing I didnt buy any yet. I'll try the Berryman B12 chemtool. Can I get that from a local store like Advanced Auto? I tried carb and choke cleaner on my dirt bike before and it didnt get the carbs as clean as i would have liked them. My buddys Clymer suggested the chem dip for his GS750. I think i'll give him a call before he does something stupid.

Comment

as for the starter relay....
                    The contacts inside could be rusted and not making a good connection.
                    Make sure the battery's fully charged. Disconnect the cable running from the starter relay to the starter and hook a voltmeter to the cable's post on the relay. Hit the starter button. Should be around 12 volts or so. If not, disassemble the relay and clean the innerds.
                    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Re: Thanks Randy

Originally posted by John
                      Hey, have you ever seen one that is full of engine oil? Must be a seal/o ring behind the drive gear that is leaking, huh?
                      Yes, John I have. I have an old XJ and it suffered the same problem. Cause was one of the rubber seals next to the end caps on the starter. There are no seals behind the gears. If the crankcase breather is restricted or blocked then the pressure can vent through the starter if the seals are not tight. Keeps the gears lubed nicely but the fumes pass down the splined shaft under the bearings.

Hope that makes sense. Does from the picture in my head.

1981 XJ550RH
                      1978 XS1100E The Wildebeast
                      1978 XS1100F X Streem
                      1980 XS1100G (with an E motor)(parts bike)
                      Jet/Mod Calculator
                      Speed/Gearing Calculator

Comment

Working...
                      X