what is it for...where does it go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is it for...where does it go?

Next to the crankcase vent hose is a small diameter hose. It is not plugged into anything and seems to have no effect on the way my 79xs runs. Also can I just remove the emergency shutoff switch or will it effect the electrical system?...Cosmo
    Never say to your wife "Correct me if i'm wrong"...thats askin' for it
    1979 xs1100f
    1999 Vulcan

Is the smaller hose possibly connected to your battery or gas tank? It might be overrun drainage - does it run between the swingarm and main frame?

Yes, IIRC you simply remove the tip over switch and throw it away.
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

No it is not the overflow hose. Is connected on one end to the motor to a connection in the center of the crankcase just below the breather hose...Cosmo
      1979 xs1100f
      1999 Vulcan

Comment

Do you know where the other end is connected or is it not connected to anything? I'd have to take a look to refresh my memory... I know there's a engine to frame ground strap in that area and of course starter cabling...can't think of anything else though
        1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
        1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
        http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

The straight skinny on the skinny hose

It is the middle drive vent hose. It terminates under the seat where the front mounting bolt for the airbox is bolted to the frame. There should be a flat metal bracket with a small depression in it that the hose fits into. It must be vented to atmosphere. I have a pic of the bracket and location, but it is in my other computer, and it crashed. It can be tied off to the frame rail, but should be attached some where that rain and other road grime won't enter the hose and contaminate the gear oil in the mid dirve.

Comment

Thanks John, Ten days ago I was clueless about the SX but thanks to all who contribute to this site I have traveled light years...Thanks...Cosmo
            1979 xs1100f
            1999 Vulcan

Comment

Working...
            X