Stinky Bike Won't Start Cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stinky Bike Won't Start Cold

I tried to take the XS11 out for errands today, but it would not start. The XS650 got the duty.

I came home with new plugs and got it running. I removed and installed NGK BP6ES. All four plugs were a nice very light gray color with no black spots or burn marks.

When I park the bike in the garage, it stinks of gasoline for several days. I always turn the petcocks to OFF. If I turn the fuel OFF and let the bike run out of fuel, it won't smell and seems to be much easier to start days or weeks later.

My bike is a SG. I expected to find a black plug or two. When I try to start the bike, I can smell fuel, but it seems like it doesn't want to light off. I expect this is associated with it stinking up the garage if I haven't emptied the bowls.

I hope one of you can tell me what I'm missing. I can't find a leak, and once I get the beast going, she runs just great!
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

My bet is float valves are worn or float level adjustment is off.
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Also, I'd check the oil if I were you - you might find you have an extra additive in there that smells oddly like gasoline...not too good for bearings.
      1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
      1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
      http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

oil

Thanx for the tip. I considered the oil and changed it with the plugs. I can't smell gasoline in the oil, but I must admit I have difficulty smelling wet paint.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Have you tried pulling your fuel lines with the petcocks turned off to see if they are actually stopping the fuel flow? Just because the handle says it is off doesn't necessarily mean it is working.
          Ken Talbot

Comment

stinky

had a few causes of fuel smell; make sure the hose rght at carb T is tight, not bloated or enlarged. fuel will seep and run down the line and make you think its coming from elsewhere. If you have fuel filters, make sure thew are not cracked at the seem, finally, check to see if your drain and bowl screws are tight as well.

If these are OK, check floats for holes and correct hight, change out float valves.

let us know

Comment

I don't think fuel is flowing with the cocks OFF because I can turn them off and let the engine run out of fuel. If I do that, there is no odor. The bike seems to start cold after I have done this.

I'll be sure to check the line going into the "T" and I'll check the bowls for security.

Do I source the float valves from MIKE'S XS?

I intend to drive the bike Wednesday morning. I have family business in Florida, so I'm going on the bike. I have two 12 hr shifts before that, so I'm going to have to deal with it. I'm thinking the float valves are the culprit too.

Why don't I have any fouled plugs?
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Stinkin' garages is indicative of fuel not shutting off somewhere.
                Petcocks with a slow leak may not be imediately noticeable. Disconnect them... or better yet, place some spare fuel line on them and let the line hang into a container. check it in the morning for any fuel that may have leaked.
                While you're checking things for fuel, also pull the air fitler and check the air box. Fuel often runs both ways, into the cylinders and into the airbox.
                I also suspect leaking float needles.
                You mention fuel smell, but there is no drippage? no wet spot on the engine under the carbs?)
                Fouled plugs is a duration problem, meaning it takes a little time to get to that condition.(Sometimes, not long)
                Just 'cause your carbs may be flooding.. making it hard to start, this could burn off rather quickly when running, revealing normal burning plugs.
                I find it hard to believe that you don't see any fuel staining from a leak. Not even on the side of the carbs themselves?
                leaky bowl gaskets can do this too, especially when on the side stand.
                Park on the center stand and see if the smell returns.
                "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

I had the same issue and chased it until I replaced all my lines. One had a small cut at the hose clamp that had been used to put it on by the PO. Replaced and went with zip ties..No smell now!
                  JimBoReeno
                  My Ex!"Half-Breed"
                  '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
                  '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
                  2000 Indian Chief
                  Millennium Edition

Comment

Working...
                  X