Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this mean that:
    1. The XJ valve will fit my head?
    2. Did I understand right Andy - will you give me a valve? For the appropriate beer tokens and postage of course.
    Si Parker
    '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

I'd be happy to give you any valves that fit. But TC tells us that the XJ valves are too big.

If you find a valve or head on E-bay, (mine was a simple $100 ready to install head) you can go for it or I can probably help with any head work needed.

I've straightened bent valves before (but I would never do so on a high rev motorl ike an XS.)
      Andy Newell,
      Enumclaw, WA
      03 BMW K1200RSA (Dread Zeppelin)
      1996 Triumph Tiger

Comment

Cool - I haven't checked e-bay yet I'll do that now.
        I got the impression from TC that the XJ valve wouldn't fit the '78 - '79 models so (maybe taking 2+2 and getting 5) they would fit the later models - ie my '81. Which would be awesome if that's the case.
        TC - Could you clarify for us please.
        Si Parker
        '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

Hey Sip,

I was pretty sure, but checked the microfiche, you're in luck!!
          Intake Valve 81H: 3H5-12111-00
          Exhaust: 3H5-12121-00

XJ valves, SAME #'s for both!!
          Looks like AndNew is your man!!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Fantastic!!
            How do you want to do this Andy. I can give you my address and then send you a money order if you enclose yours? If that's OK send it by a fast metod - I'll see you alright for the money spent. I realise you have no ones word but mine for this but I'll stand by it I promise.
            Or do you have another suggestion?

933 Holt Cr Ne
            Medicine Hat
            Alberta
            T1C 1K4
            Canada

Thanks again for letting me have it, I really appreciate it.

Si
            Si Parker
            '81 XS1100H

Comment

Hi Sip,

I would make pretty sure that the valve really is bent before I got too involved! There is more than one reason for a valve to drip, and most are not serious.

Firstly, If you have hit something hard enough to bend it, I would expect to see a mark where it hit. This is easy to see if the engine is "as run", but can be difficult after a rebuild, when everything is clean.

If you have a mark, it is probably bent; If not, check for other reasons for a leak; is there clearance at the shim? have you got a speck of grit on the seat while the valve was open?..... Or is the seat just plain needing lapped/seated?

Check the shim (Or pull the cam!) and try opening and closing the valve a few times, then recheck the seal. If it still leaks, take the valve out and try rolling the stem along a flat surface (Plate Glass is good!).

You should have found your problem by now; If it needs a valve- Go spend the money!

AlanB
              If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

I'll pull the valves this afternoon, the wife has a bunch of packing stuff left over from her ebay days.

How many valves do you want? And intake or exhaust?
                Andy Newell,
                Enumclaw, WA
                1996 Triumph Tiger

Comment

Andy
                  I just need one intake - as soon as I realised the cams weren't turning I stopped turning the crank, so have only bent one.
                  Yeah, just popped put to the garage tp make sure.
                  Thanks
                  Simon
                  Si Parker
                  '81 XS1100H

Comment

Sorry I didn't have time to dig this up yesterday. My apologies, I took a new job at M$ last month and it's been keeping me pretty busy.

I had already stripped the head and had the valves all set aside, but I forgot to mark the bent ones. So I chucked them all up in the valve grinder and took a dial indicator to them.

I pulled out the two good valves and have them in a box. I'll try to sneak out at lunch tomorrow and get them mailed, or I have the day off on Friday. So that will be the latest it goes out.

I'll insure it for a value of like $10 and call them 'used air valves' This should keep you from having any value problems with it coming across the border. Please let me know if you need to have it done differently. I'm kind of a luddite with this international shipping thing.
                    Andy Newell,
                    Enumclaw, WA
                    1996 Triumph Tiger

Comment

One more question Si, do you have valve spring compressor, and if so what type?

I had to make a roughly 100mm PVC pipe shim to make my compressor do the job. If I hear back on what type you have, I'll throw the tool in the box too.

I think I can spare the 5 cents that tool cost.
                      Andy Newell,
                      Enumclaw, WA
                      1996 Triumph Tiger

Comment

Brilliant Andy thanks. I don't have a valve compression tool, but I do have 3 or 4 friends who are mechanics and assure me it's no big deal getting a valve out - so I was going to throw myself on their mercy instead of shelling out to buy the tool.
                        I don't want to deprive you of a useful knick-knack, but then again if it's that cheap and easy to replace maybe it would be good to throw it in, I don't know if my buddies would need it - but better to have it and not need it than the other way round !!

Thanks again

Simon
                        Si Parker
                        '81 XS1100H

Comment

The two valves are on their way to you now via US postal service.

UPS was over $30 bucks to ship 6oz. to Canada. USPS was $3.51 and I still had to fill out a ream of customs paperwork. (Sent as a gift of 2 used air valves with a value of $0.) You shouldn't have any customs problems.

I couldn't find the tool this morning. I only got about 4 hours sleep so my finding skills were lacking. If you need me to I can send you a picture of what the tool looks like.

So, enjoy the valves and let me know when it's running again. I'll just cover the cost for you. Consider this as me buying you a virtual beer with a sidecar of valves.
                          Andy Newell,
                          Enumclaw, WA
                          1996 Triumph Tiger

Comment

I would expect for payment a digial picture of you and your running bike!
                            Andy Newell,
                            Enumclaw, WA
                            1996 Triumph Tiger

Comment

You're a good man. I will arrange the picture (fingers crossed) and hopefully will actually buy you a beer or two one day.
                              Is that Washington state you're in? Sorry my U.S abbreviations aren't up to scratch yet - I'm an English ex-pat and am still learning the new language
                              Si Parker
                              '81 XS1100H

Comment

No worries, I just want you to be able to ride. Indeed Washington it is.
                                Andy Newell,
                                Enumclaw, WA
                                1996 Triumph Tiger

Comment

Working...
                                X