78-79 E/F/SF Simplified Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 78-79 E/F/SF Simplified Wiring

Sloooowly dissassembling my 79 F project bike for some slight modifications. Have gotten this far into the stock wiring and thought it may be helpful to others here - of course all the standard disclaimers for liability and errors apply

All checks were performed against a stock 78E wiring harness (thanks andreas) and a stock 79F bike. According to clymers, the same wiring is also on the 79SF. Feedback and corrections are welcome.

I'll have to compare what I did to how you set up yours. I completely gutted the wiring on my project bike. The bike kick starts, there is a toggle for ignition power and a toggle for lights (headlight and brake). The toggles are under the seat. Everything else is gone. I'll check out what I actually did and compare my colors to yours.

..... I'll just skip to the Baja part.

Follow my Evan Fell Cycles: Motorcycle Blog
    evanfell.com | twitter.com/evanfell_cycles | flavors.me/evanfell

lots of my motorcycle photos | personal favorites slideshow

Comment

You Guys are nutz Seeing all that wiring hanging there makes me quezzy I plan on moving some switches from handle bars to frame somewhere, like the on/ off switch and starter button but I am thinking twice about it now. How long did it take you to unwrap and sort all thoses wires out?
      "Beware of any man that owns a pig farm"
      "Hence the meaning of the Saying,.. As greedy as a pig"
      79 XS1100 modified standard
      Chain Drive, Monoshock,extendend hand built swingarm, 200 rear
      pod filters,150 mains,45 pilots
      straight pipe 4-2 exhaust
      new to me 05 Kawasaki zxr12r man does she fly
      Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna
      Owned 02 Vstar 650 classic
      owned 85 Honda Shadow VT 700C

Comment

78-79 E/F/SF Simplified Wiring

Nice one Brian

That'll help a lot. I'm making my own harness so I'll use this for a guide, the only difference is I'm using Honda CB900 ignition CDI's and pick ups.

I was going to try and get an original harness to alter but there is going to be so little left I couldn't see the point in the end.

Tom
        Tom
        1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
        1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
        1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
        1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

One question

Looking at the diagram, it seems that you have the resistor wired up to be in use during the crank cycle, and not during the run cycle. The wire leading from the start soleniod should be supplying full battery voltage during cranking, and then once it's running, the resistor should be in the run circuit to drop the voltage to around 9v. Other than that, nice work.
          Last edited by John; 03-16-2007, 07:41 AM.

Comment

John, thanks for the heads up. Will double check that part of the oe harness this weekend and confirm. Think that was BEFORE I got my $2 reading glasses

Comment

Maybe you need the $5 reading glasses. Or maybe even the glasses with the funny lines running across the lens...like mine.

Comment

Eye doctor had perscribed those funny glasses with the lines over a year ago (never got it filled). Now he wants me to go in every year for an annual eye exam - ha. If he was a real doctor, I wouldn't need glasses - or an annual checkup.

Comment

Great work Brian,

Originally posted by Brian_D
                  Eye doctor had perscribed those funny glasses with the lines over a year ago (never got it filled). Now he wants me to go in every year for an annual eye exam - ha. If he was a real doctor, I wouldn't need glasses - or an annual checkup.
                  Careful, them's fighting words! There are 2 ophthalmic techs here on the Forum!

IF you're over 35 y/o, it's recommended to have an eye check for at least to check your Intraocular Pressure to rule out glaucoma.

If there is any family history of it, or other eye diseases ie. macular degeneration, diabetes, it's even more important to get yearly checks. Many of these diseases can cause lots of damage before they affect your actual vision, and then it can be too late!

But if you are otherwise healthy, then we commonly allow folks 2 year intervals. Ain't growing "up" fun?!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I plan to replace my wiring harness .. on both bikes ... as they came from the factory. It is the next thing on my list. I will do both while the frame for the restored bike is out for painting
                    Rob
                    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                    1978 XS500E
                    1979 XS1100F Restored
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    1981 Suzuki GS1100
                    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

hypothesis ....

Originally posted by John
                      Looking at the diagram, it seems that you have the resistor wired up to be in use during the crank cycle, and not during the run cycle. The wire leading from the start soleniod should be supplying full battery voltage during cranking, and then once it's running, the resistor should be in the run circuit to drop the voltage to around 9v. Other than that, nice work.
                      checked and rechecked the stock '79F wiring harness with a dvm and still can't find a mistake - which brings me to the following hypothesis ....

PARTIAL voltage is supplied to the coils (thru the ballast resistor) during BOTH the crank and run cycles; when the TCI senses cranking voltage on the R/Y input, it switches FULL voltage to the coils on the W/R output.

Feedback and corrections are welcome.

Comment

Re: 78-79 E/F/SF Simplified Wiring

Originally posted by TomB
                        .... the only difference is I'm using Honda CB900 ignition CDI's and pick ups.
                        Tom, can you enlighten me some more on the CB900 coils and pickups? I've read some of the info referring the coils on the UK site but missed the references to the pickups. Can the pickups be used on ANY year XS or only with the 4R0 TCI?

Comment

Brian

I'm using CB900 pick ups at the crank which are physically nearly identical to the XS pick ups, and I'm using CB900 CDI's (two, one for each coil) to trigger the ignition, so no Yamaha ignition components at all. Coils can be any coil that doesn't use a ballast resistor, I've got some CB550 Honda coils spare so I'll use them.

Here are a XS set of pick ups (left) which I will remove and replace with the Honda pick ups (right) The CDI's are above with red leads, the coin sat on top was just to give some of the UK lads an idea of size, probably not relevant to you lads
                          The CDI's are a lot smaller than the XS TCI, I'm mounting them under the gas tank next to the rec/reg with a small home made bracket. The CB550 coils I think will fit the XS frame brackets, maybe a small alteration.

I've had this set up firing on the bench from a battery and ran a steel screw driver across the pick ups, got a huge spark.

Tom
                          Tom
                          1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg

Comment

Cool. I'm definitely interested in following your progress on this. May be just the ticket for my '79F project (read years in making).

Comment

Following my progress????

I hope you're a patient bloke, I'm still welding up the frame and monoshock conversion.

I'll definitely keep you informed or keep an eye on progress here
                              Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X