xs 650 vacuum petcock fits xs 1100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xs 650 vacuum petcock fits xs 1100?

does anyone know if the 78-84 xs 650 fuel petcock will bolt up to the mighty eleven? mikes xs sell manual petcocks and i wonder if it will plug and play, thanks
    "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
    History
    85 Yamaha FJ 1100
    79 yamaha xs1100f
    03 honda cbr 600 f4
    91 yamaha fzr 600
    84 yamaha fj 1100
    82 yamaha seca 750
    87 yamaha fazer
    86 yamaha maxim x
    82 yamaha vision
    78 yamaha rd 400

It may fit a Standard, but will not fit a Special. The only thing that uses the same PC as a Special is the XJ11.

Comment

It WILL NOT fit a standard. My daily ride had "two new" petcocks on it when I bought it. They BOTH broke because the fuel outlet was rubbing on the carbs. The STOCK '78 or '79 XS11 are the only one that will bolt up.
      Ray
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

yes i have the same problem, they rub and i bought the bike like that way, they did not break after 4000 miles , just one of the diaphrams leak,

if you look at mike xs pages the have an aftermarket replacement that have an overall smaller profile maybe 30 to 40 percent smaller, s

o it would clear any sapce given the fact that the ones now rub but usable,

as long as the mounting hole are 46 mm, then i think it would be a great cure for the a vacuum to manual swap,

i went with parts and morts universal and by looking at the pictures, they are the same except the mike's petcock has the mounting plate cast to an oem configuration, while parts and more needs an adaptor plate in which it required me to dremel and slightly larger round opening,

the only reason i'm shopping again, is the supplied rubber gasket leaks no matter what i do amd i am now finessing a a gasket material and silicone combo drying time etc. if that fails it's off to make miks's a little richer....
        History
        85 Yamaha FJ 1100
        79 yamaha xs1100f
        03 honda cbr 600 f4
        91 yamaha fzr 600
        84 yamaha fj 1100
        82 yamaha seca 750
        87 yamaha fazer
        86 yamaha maxim x
        82 yamaha vision
        78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay
          It WILL NOT fit a standard. My daily ride had "two new" petcocks on it when I bought it. They BOTH broke because the fuel outlet was rubbing on the carbs. The STOCK '78 or '79 XS11 are the only one that will bolt up.
          Ray
          mine are new and they rub the carbs, so your'e saying they at the very least bolt on, so the mounting hole do align , right?
          History
          85 Yamaha FJ 1100
          79 yamaha xs1100f
          03 honda cbr 600 f4
          91 yamaha fzr 600
          84 yamaha fj 1100
          82 yamaha seca 750
          87 yamaha fazer
          86 yamaha maxim x
          82 yamaha vision
          78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

I have a pair of petcocks on my E that hits the carb (right) and airbox (left).
            I raised the back of my tank about an inch with washers and they no longer rub.
            I'd like to get manual petcocks. I think parts n more has a plate that accepts a manual petcock and you drill the mounting holes for your application.
            The XS triples site had a thread or two about this.
            Pat Kelly
            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Don't know if this helps but I have XS750E petcocks on my XS11E

Straight fit on, only the front plate is a slightly different shape.

Just thought I'd mention it.
              Tom
              1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
              1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
              1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
              1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Kelly
                I have a pair of petcocks on my E that hits the carb (right) and airbox (left).
                I raised the back of my tank about an inch with washers and they no longer rub.
                I'd like to get manual petcocks. I think parts n more has a plate that accepts a manual petcock and you drill the mounting holes for your application.
                The XS triples site had a thread or two about this.
                i bought parts and more, and i enlarge the hole to fit the feeder tube, but i can seem to stop it from weeping, it really needs an o ring

pingle does not sell one for the 11 or the 650. looking at 650 ebay pics they look like the one i got on now, mike's xs, sell parts and more's but with a 650 casting -to -mount, my old invoice from the po shows a string of number resembleing a 650 petcock parts number, i'm willing to bet mikes manual for the 78-84 650 will plug and play....40 bucks

i c ebay group 750 and 650 fuelcocks, they my interchange

don't go with parts and more, you will need to cut metal in an area that need metal, i think i may have found an alternat....pat kelly
                Last edited by mason79; 03-23-2007, 11:34 AM.
                History
                85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                79 yamaha xs1100f
                03 honda cbr 600 f4
                91 yamaha fzr 600
                84 yamaha fj 1100
                82 yamaha seca 750
                87 yamaha fazer
                86 yamaha maxim x
                82 yamaha vision
                78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

yep, if anyone cares, mike's xs manual conversion fuel petcocks for the 78-84 xs650 bolts right up to the standard xs 1100 tank, and eliminates vacuum type associated problems 40 bucks ea. yeah!
                  History
                  85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                  79 yamaha xs1100f
                  03 honda cbr 600 f4
                  91 yamaha fzr 600
                  84 yamaha fj 1100
                  82 yamaha seca 750
                  87 yamaha fazer
                  86 yamaha maxim x
                  82 yamaha vision
                  78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Bolts right up and no interference with carbs or airbox? Have my prayers been answered?

Please tell me I am awake and this thread is real.....
                    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
                    1969 Yamaha DT1B
                    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Absolutely, uneqivilbly, no interferece anywhere the real estate between the petcock and the nearest obstruction would make donald trump proud!

you are awake and i rode 40 miles with the new petcock, no need to pinch yourself, you may have too much fun, you know one thing leads to another, just go put something wild between you legs...
                      History
                      85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                      79 yamaha xs1100f
                      03 honda cbr 600 f4
                      91 yamaha fzr 600
                      84 yamaha fj 1100
                      82 yamaha seca 750
                      87 yamaha fazer
                      86 yamaha maxim x
                      82 yamaha vision
                      78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

I can't understand how everyones' fuel-valves are rubbing, breaking etc... but bypass the auto to manual blocking holes inside the fuel-valve otherwise they'll be overflowing the carbs all the time

Comment

I hate my petcocks - one anyway

I'm not sure I understand your post, pggg. But if there is a way to make my petcocks manual instead of vacuum driven I would like to know what it is. My right petcock has been apart more often than Paris Hilton's legs and I cannot make it stop dripping. Somehow I got the left to work correctly, but the right will not cooperate and it's baffling to me why that is. I refuse to take the left apart to compare them, as I am more likely to end up with two leaking petcocks than two working petcocks.

The needle valves in the carbs are working right and keeping the gas from overflowing, but I know better than to rely on them. They didn't design the petcocks to cut off fuel flow for no reason.

I would prefer to fix this petcock than replace it, but I've had no luck so far and I am completely out of ideas. I've bent and unbent the washer, stretched and compacted the spring, polished every area that touches rubber and most parts that don't and still - drip, drip, drip....

Patrick
                          The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

Succ, there's 3 places where it can leak, bottom gasket, inner gasket/diaphragm, or the big O-ring that sits around the handle unit. Find which gasket is the culprit and there's the fix on the leak. About turning the petcock to manual, with the vac hose disconnected , it's just a matter of 'prime' for on, and 'on' for off, mine wouldn't seal the gas when on 'on' - I'd remove the fuel hose and they'd keep flowing coz the springs were weak and the diaphragms weren't sealing properly, I got tricky and sealed up one of the holes in there to stop the flow, and used prime as 'on' and the blocked hole as 'off' but simply should have just fixed the spring/diaphragm instead, which I did later anyway.

Comment

It would seem I should pay more attention to that spring, pggg. I'd like to replace it, but the Yamaha website parts fiche doesn't offer a part number for the spring or the diaphram. It looks like they consider that an inseparable part of the petcock assembly. The rebuild kits I bought didn't include them. And these were the best two of four I had.

You said you fixed yours. Where did you get the springs?

Patrick

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

Working...
                              X