Only one petcock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only one petcock?

The previous owner didn't think they made rebuild kits for petcocks, so he simply took one off and seale the hole. He then branched the gas line off to feed all the carbs. Is this going to work, or should I look into rebuilding the other petcock and running it the original way?
    78 xs1100E standard

I have run my bike off one petcock as loang and hard as road limits allowed and never had fuel starvation. I personally think that there are only 2 to get the fuel from the seperted (when low) sides of the tank.f
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I removed the octopus from my LG and have it plumbed so that either petcock feed all 4 carbs. Never had a fuel starvation problem (plus I have 2 reserves now).
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Hey Pet

How did you go about doing that I'm in the process of tearing out my octopus (hehe sounds kinda funny don't it wife probably laffing her butt of right now Anyhow I have hit everystore in town and cant find a 1/4 inch Y adapter they all tell me good luck did you use t's for your project?
        TIA

Comment

i've read nylon vacuum connectors stand up well to gas and that is what i use, for the past 500 miles still looks and works like new, they don't really "y" well they look like this---- y not this Y, get it?
          "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
          History
          85 Yamaha FJ 1100
          79 yamaha xs1100f
          03 honda cbr 600 f4
          91 yamaha fzr 600
          84 yamaha fj 1100
          82 yamaha seca 750
          87 yamaha fazer
          86 yamaha maxim x
          82 yamaha vision
          78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

If you still want to be able use either petcock, but one at a time, I devised a rig that works...I used two T fittings, and had the 'leg' of the Ts facing each other, and connected them with a short piece of fuel line. So short in fact, that the ends of the T fittings were touching each other inside the hose, essentially forming an 'H'. To do this, just run a piece of hose from the rear port of the petcock to the area above, and behind #2&3 carbs, and insert the cross of the T fitting into the hoses. Now, from the carbs, run the line up to the cross of the second T fitting that forms the 'H'. That will allow you to feed both carbs from either PC, and just use one PC at a time. I ran off just one PC for many years and never had any fuel starvation problem. If you are going to be running at very high speed, and think you'll need to have more fuel available to the carbs, then open the second PC. The forward port of the PC is for the Prime function, as is not needed. Block it off. By turning the PC to the On position, fuel will flow when the engine is off. One thing to remember is to always turn the PC off when the engine is not running. That will help to prevent flooding the carbs if the float needles don't seal properly. If you should forget to turn the PC on when you start riding, you'll know in less than 1/2 mile. DAMHIKIJD.

Comment

Working...
            X