No announcement yet.

3-4 fire...1-2 won't..HELP/It's Alive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-4 fire...1-2 won't..HELP/It's Alive!

1 and 2 cylinders will not fire. 3 and 4 do and the bike will idle (slightly) on them. I have spark in all 4. i have totally rebuilt the carbs. Float bowl's were full. I pulled them again and am pretty sure everything is clean. Checked cleaner through all the holes and it came out all the ones it was supposed to. And when I pulled them they looked wet on the head side but the 1 and 2 plugs are dry. What are the chances my intake valves are stuck shut on 1 and 2 ? Anything else I should check first ? The pipes stay cold as a stone. I'm completely flummoxed...It's an '80G and everything is stock. It hadn't run in a couple of years when I got it, was sitting on the side stand, and the #1 carb was pretty gunky. The rest were nice and clean tho..
    Last edited by showtime; 03-14-2007, 12:04 PM.
    xs eleven #3 -'78,'79, and now an '80

Is this a standard by chance? I'd check to make sure your left fuel petcock (if standard) is functioning properly - try turning it to "prime" to see if perhaps the vacuum diaphragm may not be working.
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

petcocks flow freely, float bowls filled right up. It's not that I lose the cylinders when they start to starve from fuel....they don't appear to be getting any period..

Comment

Oops, didn't notice that you had said that. I would think if you had stuck valves that it would have lots of trouble turning over, perhaps even breaking a camshaft. If you are worried about the valves, you might be able to see the end of them through the #1 spark plug hole with a flashlight while turning the motor over (by hand would be best)...I'm not certain though as I've never tried.

Have you verified that your plug wires are connecting correctly? As in 1&4 are connected to the same coil and 2&3 are connected to the same coil? It's possible that if 1 & 2 are switched that not only will it not fire, but it might actually backfire - I could be off base there with the backfiring, but it's certainly easy to check the wires.
        Last edited by Snow; 03-14-2007, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Also, you mention cleaning the carbs so you've had them off recently? If the plug wires are correct, then I'd also pull off the carbs and make sure nothing had gotten into the carb boots on the head while they were off... it does concern me a bit that #1 and #2 plugs don't even get wet...

The only thing in common between those two cylinders is the fuel line and tee between the 1&2 carbs...and of course the camshafts for all 4....

Comment

Pinched fuel line
            Ken Talbot

Comment

Says floats are full..
              How bout running a compression test to test your valves
              just a thought may help you get a idea whats going on.

Comment

It is likely fuel starvation but might also be very low compression on those cylinders. Check compression and if that's good start looking for a fuel supply issue. Sticky floats etc. My carb floats were working great when I had the carbs on the bench but they would stick when back on the bike while on side stand. also make sure those 2 cylinders are not flooding.

Rob
                KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                1978 XS500E
                1979 XS1100F Restored
                1980 XS1100 SG
                1981 Suzuki GS1100
                1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Try sparying a little starting fluid in the #1 and #2 carbs. You may have to loosen the air box so you can shoot a small squirt into the air intake. Starter fluid (either) is available in a spray can at any auto parts store.

Be careful when cranking the engine, you might get a backfire and it can catch fire. Keep your face away from the carbs, and keep a wet towel handy to pat out the flames.

What you're trying to do is start those cylinders. If they start, then you have a carb problem, which is my 1st guess.

As you know, carbs can give you problems after sitting for a few years.
                  '80 XS1100LG Midnight Special
                  Looks like an '82 Maxim, Fuel Injected
                  '82 XJ1100J, Fuel Injected
                  Stan Hutchison

Comment

It's Aliiive !

Reference my last post about #1 and #2 cylinders not firing, y'all were right about fuel starvation. I don't know where the problem was but i pulled the carbs again, checked the intake ports, checked the petcocks and gas lines, and tore the 2 carbs all the way down again. I poked, brushed, and sprayed it all clean, and put it back together. Of course everything looked fine and I could find no gunk dirt or other issues. I reluctantly put the carbs back on not expecting any sucess. When I started it 1 & 2 started hitting about every 4th revolution. It back fired and spewed smoke out the pipes for a bit (from the oil I put in the cylinders to keep them nice). But then she coughed a few times and cleaned right out. I had my idle way way to high so when she cleaned out she went right up to ( I'm guessing cause the tach don't work) 4 -5 k rpm's. I shut her down and adjusted that. Ended up with the idle mixture screws out 2 full turns. Idles like a dream and revs up great. Of course thats in the garage and not under load but I'm happy...no ecstatic..with that for now. Well I just had to share the good news. Now I'm off the check the alternator per the tech tips to see if thats my tach problem. yahhoo !!!!

Comment

That's awesome! Carbs can be so finicky. I love the grumble of these bikes. Get that thing on the road!!!
                      ..... I'll just skip to the Baja part.

Follow my Evan Fell Cycles: Motorcycle Blog
                      evanfell.com | twitter.com/evanfell_cycles | flavors.me/evanfell

lots of my motorcycle photos | personal favorites slideshow

Comment

I can't wait to holler that myself. The day is getting closer...

Eric
                        Eric Roellig
                        1980 SG w Windjammer V & KG hard bags
                        **Very first bike**
                        Current condition: Running!!! Lead, follow or get the #^%# out of my way!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X