GOLD Emblems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOLD Emblems

Does anyone Know where one can get the GOLD Plated emblems for the XJ1100J Maxim 1982, tank and side shields. I have been looking but cannot find any. I also need the plastic speedo/tac cover, mine is washed out and the clear lens is cracked and glazed. Speedo and Tac are Okay and working fine. Would like to NOT HAVE the Carter 55MPH modded speedo though.
    Dell82
    Houston, TX
    82' XJ1100J Maxim "LASERMAX"
    SOLD 86' Kawasaki Voyager XII, 1200cc SOLD
    SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, FOR SALE SOLD
    SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, parts bike SOLD

Hi Dell82

I know they are a long way away, but have a look at these guys; http://www.badgereplicas.com.au/ Thir stuff is very good!

AlanB
    If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Those pieces from Australia look very nice, but they shrink when they come out of the mold. The screw holes won't line up, etc. I friend of mine bought some for his XS-2. They look beautiful until you try to install them. They were gracious enough to take them back and give a full refund.

I many cases, you can probably redrill and tap the mount holes. Just be advised you will be required to do that if you source your badges here.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

I went to the above site but no badges for the XJ1100J Maxim. There is a way for gold plating plastic but cost is usually US$45.00 each. The process is done onsite for car owners that want car badges/logos GOLD.
        Dell82
        Houston, TX

Comment

Check out CarCraft magazine, May, 2007, page #54. This is an article about casting your own plastic badges and emblems. You will need a proto type to get it right though. After the issue is avail at the news stands, I'll scan the three page article and post it. If you subcribe to CarCraft, you already read it.
          S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
          1-big XS patch
          1-small XS/XJ patch
          1-XS/XJ owners pin.
          1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
          2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
          1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
          1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

I don't subscribe to Car Craft and look forward to reading the article. However I have the Tank and shield emblems but the GOLD was worn off, so I painted them gold but they donot look as good as the originals.
            Would really like to find someone that has the emblems and would be willing to sell them, looking for the MIRROR GOLD to be good though. If the emblems were good except for the gold I would still want them so I can have them gold plated.
            Dell82
            Houston, TX

Comment

I have had the experience of sanding my old emblems (220 to 320grit) and then, after priming with a gray lacquer primer and resanding with 320 grit, I use a product called Champion Spray On 24KT Gold Spray On Enamel. I do not endorse this product but I have found it looks good and it is available at your local craft store for about 5 US dollars. After that I utilize a ceramic acrylic black paint and I then hand brush the black out portions. I takes about an hour per emblem. After waiting 4 to 6 hours of flash time I apply a urethane clearcoat, automotive two part clearcoat used in the repair of crashed cars. Local body shops will complete this step if you do not have the equipment, for a small fee - 25.00?? Life is about negotiating - do your best. Some really appreciate what you are doing and are willing to take a small tip for services rendered.

I will post pictures shortly.
              Last edited by Boothman; 05-03-2007, 11:35 PM.
              1980 XS G
              http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/1980G001.jpg

Comment

SOmething I intend to do in the future is replace the sidecover emblems on my bike with vinyl decals.
                Graphics shops can scan a digital photo of the emblem. They can retouch the photo to most and effect you desire (ever see the fake headlights on race cars, I swear they will light-up).
                With the decal there is no longer the hassle of cleaning built-up wax from all the nooks and crannies of the 3-D badge.
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Kinda like this?

You can have them customized also.

Click on the pic.

Comment

Boothman's technique for refinishing emblems has worked well for me too.

Originally posted by Boothman
                    I have had the experience of sanding my old emblems (220 to 320grit) and then, after priming with a gray lacquer primer and resanding with 320 grit, I use a product called Champion Spray On 24KT Gold Spray On Enamel. I do not endorse this product but I have found it looks good and it is available at your local craft store for about 5 US dollars. After that I utilize a ceramic acrylic black paint and I then hand brush the black out portions. I takes about an hour per emblem. After waiting 4 to 6 hours of flash time I apply a urethane clearcoat, automotive two part clearcoat used in the repair of crashed cars. Local body shops will complete this step if you do not have the equipment, for a small fee - 25.00?? Life is about negotiating - do your best. Some really appreciate what you are doing and are willing to take a small tip for services rendered.

I will post pictures shortly.
                    Ken Talbot

Comment

Old bike barn has them also:
                      http://oldbikebarn.com/
                      1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                      1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                      http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

What Ken has laid out here is easy to follow. Looking at his pictures, there is no way I can show you anything else and Ken has out lined each step which is GREAT! These look exactly the same way that my emblems do and look great on the bike.

Great job Mr. Talbot
                        1980 XS G

Comment

Tru this site

Hey Dell,

Try this site out http://www.reproductiondecals.com/de...aw_3.html~main . I have not personally used them but the decals look decent on the web. If you do decide to use them let us all know how they look and fit.
                          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                          81 LH
                          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                          Jim

Comment

ebay

there is an 1982xj1100j being parted out on ebay right now, everything is fairly cheap too, check that out might find what you need.
                            1982 XJ1100J

Sold:
                            1974 RD200
                            1975 xs500
                            1985 Honda XR350

Comment

Here's a couple of images of my emblems taken with flash. I'll do a couple outdoors and close up but you get the picture!!

Last edited by Boothman; 05-19-2007, 10:20 PM.
                              1980 XS G

Comment

Working...
                              X