carb surge, First Real Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Cosmo,

That's awesome news. Your hesistation is in the Pilot Jet zone, and once the seafoam has had some time to work, you "MAY" find that it gets smoother and more responsive, but it might not?

You might try turning the pilot SCREWs out a 1/2 turn or so, later once the seafoam has had some time. I didn't review your previous thread, I remember you have the Pod filters, but don't recall what your jets sizes were?? However, turning the screws out may be all you need without going to a larger jet size!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

My bike is doing the same thing. Once it warms up it starts the high revs. I know the carbs need synced. I'm going to pay someone this first time and get the tool after that. Where can I find the air buds for a 78? If I get buds, will I need different jets? I'm glad I'm not the only newbie here trying to figure things out. I'm also getting the hesitation and then a kick in the pants when it sorts itself out. I've put a can of injector/carb cleaner into the tank.
      Last edited by joshua; 03-14-2007, 06:26 PM.
      78 xs1100E standard

Comment

I just went out to look at the bike after it's first 5 minute ride in my possession. Seems there's fuel leaking out of carb #1 and there's some in the air box. That can't be good??? Is this most likely from bad sync or is it worse. I would not be surpised at all to find there is a missing gasket or seal on top of anything else.
        78 xs1100E standard

Comment

Air Buds?

Hey Josh,

You'll hear a lot of folks say you should NOT remove the AirBox, it has the velocity stack type intake tubes, and with a decent K&N filter, and even some strategically placed holes in the bottom of the OEM box, that it will tune and perform as good or better than it will with "PODS".

I put "PODS" on mine when I did my topend rebuild 5 years ago, started with the UNIFILTER Cylinder foam types from JC Whitney, !$48.00 a set of four. I did rejet to a few sizes up, I've got an 81, running 4-1 pipes, and so it breaths very well in and out which leans things considerably, and I didn't want to take a chance on burning up my new Big Bore Pistons!

This last year, I put on the CONE shaped filters, cheapos from IIRC BikeBandit, or MikesXS....Emgo brand. They DID have the prominent LIP on them, but I had NO problems with revving up to redline! However, I made some adapters from plumbing parts from LOWES, somebody recently posted the link to the thread with the pictures about it! I've had no real problem with tuning the carbs, the bike runs pretty strong for me. It might have a slight loss of bottom end grunt due to the 4-1's but I don't usually run it below 2.5K rpm anyways! But, no hesitations, etc.! I am at SEA LEVEL=thick/dense air, but I've also run it in the little eastern mountains without problems either!

I like Pods, ease of carb removal/install, and I like the additional sound of hearing the engine ROAR! Others have had problems getting theirs tuned to work with the pods, either restricted air flow at the inlet bell causing a stall at 6K, or hesitations thru transition zones!? YMMV! Just wanted to "Try" to present both sides of this Debate!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Sounds good! I want to hear the engine and make it roar. That, and any added performance is good. I'm just worried about the fuel in there? Right now there is a yellow foam air filter in there. I just seems much less efficient to have the air wrap from under my seat, through a box and then into the carbs. I'm going to aim for the "pods".
            78 xs1100E standard

Comment

The yellow foam filter is most likely a Uni brand. That is what I use. I have drilled two 1/2 inch holes in the bottom of airbox, on the unfiltered (inside) side of the filter. That seems to be just right for my application. 1179 cc big bore, and Jardine 4-2 spaghetti pipes.
              If you have fuel in the airbox from #1 carb, then the float needle isn't sealing properly, and allowing fuel to leak past the float needle seat, and flooding the carb. If the problem isn't the needle, then it may be that the float is sticking on the side of the bowl, and not floating up high enough to close the float needle.

Comment

Since Sunday I have put about 100 miles on my bike and it just runs better. I removed the air box and put pods on. I also have a 4 to 1 header and do not know what carb mods have been done. I am going to wait until I have run several tanks of gas thru it before I mess with anything. I am turning about 3950rpms at 70mph and about 5gs at eighty. I dont plan to run it any harder until I get to know the bike better.When I had the carbs down I had float hanging up...cleaning seemed to cure the problem...Cosmo
                Never say to your wife "Correct me if i'm wrong"...thats askin' for it
                1979 xs1100f
                1999 Vulcan

Comment

Cosmo,
                  You put a smile on my face! Seems like our bikes are twins of sorts. Hopefully with a little more elbow grease I'll be holding on at 80 soon! Best wishes.
                  78 xs1100E standard

Comment

Originally posted by joshua
                    I just went out to look at the bike after it's first 5 minute ride in my possession. Seems there's fuel leaking out of carb #1 and there's some in the air box.
                    This means you have a leaking petcock, and you also have a sticking float. Use the search button at the top of the page to look up each of these problems and you'll find everything you need to set it right.
                    Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
                    X