backrest..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backrest..

Sorry, this might be an obvious question for most riders. Is the backrest/luggage rack combo for the rider or passenger? If you have highway pegs, can you lean back on the backrest?

if you intend to ride leaning that far back let me know where you are riding so i can steer well clear of you......???

Ahhh...?????........PASSENGER I'd say.....
    1982 XS1100R
    1982 XJ650
    1983 VT400
    1990 XVS Shadow
    1983 Z1100

-I just love the look on their faces when you leave them standing in the dust after they've lined you up on your XS.

Comment

ah ok, good to know... so now all I need is to bend those handle bars back a little

Comment

Last edited by midnight1980; 03-07-2007, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Just look for an old rack that has a slider which allows the rider to lean on the backrest because it moves forward and is adjustable. Note they are usually stuck and very hard to move. The stock 78e had these. andreas

Comment

Got one

Got one like shown in the picture sittin in my shed.
            Bruce
            Bruce Doucette
            Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

The front of the backrest is for your sleeping bag, which is a lot softer.
              Behind the backrest, goes your rucksack, Cigarette-holdin' ammo pouches, and obviously, a "Gremlin" doll.

"Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

There is an adjustable, KG brand rack/backrest on ebay right now. I have one of them on my 81SH.

Comment

I have an adjustable one also (and two others) but I had to run a zip-tie around it and the rack to prevent it from adjusting itself!

Originally posted by John
                  There is an adjustable, KG brand rack/backrest on ebay right now. I have one of them on my 81SH.
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Hey Pac,

I built mine, and had it adjustable so that when I had a pillion, they could use it, but when solo, I am able to slide it up to support my back. I have 1" setbacks for my GW bars, and moderately long arms, so I'm pretty cumfy with that setup! I can't remember right now what they're called, but I drilled holes in my rails so I could use these...aha Clevis pins to secure the adjustable rails instead of just relying on friction knobs.
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

backrest

yes you can slide it up so you can lean on it but you still have to reach a little to get the handlebars. i got mine years ago off ebay and the bolt holes were striped out so the pad was only held in with the top bolt so i put one of those web bunjie coards around it, it worked for several years but one day it flew off and i did not know about it untill i got home, i was so pissed. last year i finaly got around to making one, it looks ok. but it works just fine.
                      79' XS1100SF

Comment

Working...
                      X