Turning rotors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning rotors

I found this guy on ebay turning rotors for old KZ's. They seem pretty similar to ours. If anyone is interested you might want to contact him. He charges around $35 a rotor and they look pretty good. Just thought I'd pass it on. Here is the link to an auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA:IT&ih=020
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

In case anybody cannot afford to have their stock rotors done like this. I have 2 sets of rotors (3 off same bike) in the ol pile o parts right now. 1 set is off 78e but PO spend time and drilled them in a nice pattern. Second set off 80sg the slotted factory drilled ones. Both sets will give lots of use and are good. Price of $60 includes shipping in continetal USA. Send me a PM. andreas

Comment

Hey Jessie,

You almost lost your GURU status with this one!

Doing a search, you'll find threads about doing this, in that the OEM rotors are not very thick to begin with, and the wear limit is very small, so if there are any real prominent grooves in the rotors, then resurfacing them will most likely take them down below the minimum thickness **recommended by Yamaha**!

I don't know how much thinner they can be before there is increased risks of warpage under heavy use and heating/overheating!?
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Dang, and I just got it! I just mentioned this because people often ask about it and the usual response is that they can't be turned due to the rotor being offset from the mount. I wonder why the xs rotors are so much thicker in comparison to the kz's (although have worked on both there is NO contest for overall design quality between the two and would love to get a chance to smack the idiots that designed the kz).
        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

reason i didn't turn just drilled, nothing like leave some battle scars around, but the guy doing it has a cool process, i like the thread...
          "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
          History
          85 Yamaha FJ 1100
          79 yamaha xs1100f
          03 honda cbr 600 f4
          91 yamaha fzr 600
          84 yamaha fj 1100
          82 yamaha seca 750
          87 yamaha fazer
          86 yamaha maxim x
          82 yamaha vision
          78 yamaha rd 400