Middle drive question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middle drive question

What's the torque on the output shaft nut?

Thanks.

I looked all through the Clymes and Haynes manuals, and couldn't find one. I would suggest you use the German torque...Gudentite! Actually, I would go around 50 ft.lbs. The Haynes said that the middle gear should not be "dismantled" so that's probably why they don't give a torque value.

Comment

You're Close, John!

I found it in some supplemental section listing lots of torque values, it's described as such:

Middle Gear Flange and Cross Joint: =40 ft/lbs
      I checked the parts fiche, and the part the drive shaft U-joint is bolted to is called the FLANGE, the nut is a self locking type!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks, guys. I recall an old post where someone had the threads snapped clean off, didn't want that happening! I had to dismantle the drive to replace the output seal, my boot was full of gear oil. You know, with all the work I've done on this bike, it's amazing to discover that there are so many things I didn't replace over the past 4 yrs.

Just to be safe, I think I'll relace the air in the tires!

Comment

Originally posted by randy
          I had to dismantle the drive to replace the output seal, my boot was full of gear oil.
          Randy, I have an 81H that leaks hypoid. There is a large diam O-ring that fits arount the male component that slips into the middlle drive. (Lets not get Freudian!) I replaced that Oring and it still leaks a little bit when it is parked. Is that the seal you replaced or was it something else?
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

skids,

There are two seals, one is the o-ring you mentioned, the other is at the output shaft, I'm replacing both. Mine was leaking at the output shaft seal.

Comment

Originally posted by randy
              skids,

There are two seals, one is the o-ring you mentioned, the other is at the output shaft, I'm replacing both. Mine was leaking at the output shaft seal.
              Randy, do you have the part number on the tip of your tongue? I really would like to stop that leak 100%
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

O-Ring: 93210-71360-00

Output shaft seal: 93101-35085-00

Gasket: 1J7-17518-00-00

Or, just go to Bikebandit.com and order them.

Comment

Just got my spanking-new output shaft seal for my middle drive. Now I know why mine was leaking. No, it wasn't leaking at the shaft, rather it was leaking at the housing-to-seal mating surface.

Seems the seal does not have any material, rubber or otherwise to seal against the housing, it's just metal-to-metal!

Oh. I'll be sealing it all right.

Comment

Working...
                  X