Sorry everyone... Tires again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry everyone... Tires again.

I have been reading all morning, and have read plenty on tire PERFORMANCE, but I want to know which tire gets the highest MILEAGE on our heavy beasts. I have the cheaper Dunlop on right now that is down past the wear indicators with only 4800 miles on it. I was told I'd get at least 8k out of it by the dealer. I rarely need this bike for performance.. and even when I do, it's not to be down scraping knees or pegs, it's usually straight away.

Without going to "The dark side" and installing a car tire on back, I want to hear from people that get a lot of miles out of their rear tires. Brand, size, and mileage... PLEASE?!? Thanks.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Since we're here, I'm open to all suggestions. Even as to what size car tire WOULD fit (If any) without modifications to the swingarm or bike. Thanks again.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Are you trying to be funny?
      With the swing arms being so narrow, I don't think a Model T tire would fit in there.
      I just keep using the Dunlop Elite II, but I don't think they make the II anymore. I have put the Elite III on a buddy's 79SF and it is a good looking tire. I will be using the III when I have to buy a new tire.
      Last edited by John; 03-01-2007, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Well, I'm running Metzlers for the past few years. Dont know about milage but they perform well and are wearing very well.
        Mike Giroir
        79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Metzler Tires

TADracer
          I want to replace my Elite II's with Metzlers. Which style and size are you using?
          Thanks
          John in El Paso
          1980 Yamaha XS1100G
          2002 Honda Goldwing
          1977 Yamaha TY250
          1973 Yamaha TX750 (future project)

Comment

metzler

i am running metzler 880 front and back. i really love them. however I just recently noticed some small outter cracks and these tires are almost new and I put tire protectant on them...Are these small fissures something to worry about? I figured they were from sitting in the abnormally extreme cold we have had here for the pasts few months....
            MDRNF
            79F.....Not Stock
            80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Tod,
              I run Dunlop Elite II tires on daily ride. I put a new set on last summer, just before my 7,200 mile ride, and they are still on the bike. I have over 12K on the tires, and they are still working well.
              You NEED to buy tires that will hold the weight of the bike. The cheap tires are only rated for about 500 lbs, and the good tires are rated for over 800 lbs. As the XS1100 is almost 600lbs bare, the higher rating is a REQUIREMENT IMHO. If you buy blackwall tires, and stay away from the raised letters, you can usually go up one size from stock.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Havwe been running Dunlop Elite IIs since 2001, several sets, more rear changes than front. Get about 12K on fronts, 8 - 9K on rear and I often pull a small trailer on long trips which accellerates tire wear. Don't think you can beat the Dunlop for mileage and all-around performance, though they are acknowledged as not as 'sticky' as some other tires out there. FWIW my XJ is also fitted with a Windjammer with a tall windshield and saddlebags, and I am no lightweight at about 265 pounds. The tires on my bike get quite a workout. When I have to replace the current Elite IIs I'll go with the Elite III series.
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.
                "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

MythBuster!

I don't know where this myth about the Dunlop II's not being available anymore came from ? ?

It' still listed on their web site tire catalog, in the OEM Cruiser/Bias section.

I had one on mine back in the early 90's, can't even remember how many miles I had on it. Bike tranny died in '92, parked till 2000, rebuilt, and because this was before I had learned what I have learned from this site, I used that same tire, it passed inspection! I put a few more thousand on it going on rally runs from Va. to Alexandria Bay, NY; to Asheville, NC, then to Phila. Penn next year, and then to Suches, Ga., but it finally went bald on that ride there, had to replace it.

Before I replaced it, it had worn a bit flat down the center, so it wasn't very good for the extreme twisties, but that didn't stop me! But after I put the new one on, it was like night and day, riding on rails almost!! It does have decent stickyness for Dry tight twisties at extreme angles! It's been several years now, but I don't put as many miles on them as quickly as others. But you should be able to have very good mileage and grip from them!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

The myth

The myth comes from the suppliers and dealers who had a big sale at 50% off the Elite II because they are told they are no longer being made by the mfg. I bought 2. I have gotten over 10,000 miles on the two I have used up so far.
                    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                    Drilled airbox
                    Tkat fork brace
                    Hardly mufflers
                    late model carbs
                    Newer style fuses
                    Oil pressure guage
                    Custom security system
                    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

The only reason I bought the III's was because the shop (Cycle Gear) told me that the II's were no longer available. The tread pattern on the III's looks cool also.

Comment

I run Dunlops K491 II's on my 79SF. Replaced both front and rear tires about 7,000 miles ago and they both still look brand new.
                        Do'Lee
                        XS1100SF "Green Hornet"
                        (1) XS1100LG "Midnight Dream" Restoration has begun.
                        (2) XS1100LG "Midnight Madness" Waiting to be next
                        (5) multi partsters for bobber "Ruby Red II" On the list.
                        SR500H "Silver Streak"

Comment

I have the Dunlaps (501s) on my Special, they seem to hold up well, but I worry about leaning over too far, since the profile of the tire is kinda flat. Haven't scraped anything since they were put on.

I just (As in, the bike is still at the shop), put Metzler Lazertecs on the H. I had the one my BMW K bike, and was impressed, and the Shop had a set sorta lieing around.

I also have an 880 on the K now, seems to be lasting a long time, but does not have the traction of the lazertec. One thing to think on with longer lasting tires, is harder tires can mean less traction. The tire also takes longer to warm up. Ilike riding on an erasor.

Give me a month or so on the Lazertec to see how they deal with the weight, and I will have more of an opinion. Inthe mean time, just be aware that your fast wearing tire is probably giving you more traction. Of course, then they wera out faster, and you ahve to buy more tires, so I guess there is a trade off.
                          Last edited by Pain; 03-02-2007, 04:03 AM.
                          I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

I have Dunlop 491's om my loaded E. 3 years now and still looking good.
                            491 lasts a bit longer (harder compound) and has a good tread pattern for riding in the rain, which I do.
                            Dunlop 501's on my nekkid LG last spring and I need to replace the rear.
                            501 is a softer compound for my sportier riding in the summertime.
                            Pat Kelly
                            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Re: Metzler Tires

Originally posted by xszgrider
                              TADracer
                              I want to replace my Elite II's with Metzlers. Which style and size are you using?
                              Thanks
                              will have to check the size for ya. but the front is a laser and the rear is a metztronic.
                              Mike Giroir
                              79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Working...
                              X