snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snow

well being a novice at riding on a snow coverd road...I went down on a straight stretch....what I learned is that when the snow starts flying...you pull over......duh. both turn signals broke.....ugh.picking her up on snow is also something no one needs too know about.....not easy....when will they make chains for us hardcore guys.....
    82 XJ1100 Maxim
    80 XS1100 engine and parts doner
    Awsome machine.....love going on rides.....
    black on black

Sorry to hear that. I have only ridden in about 1 inch of solid snow. For me, its not the fact that the road is slick, it the ice on the visor that is the problem. It was snowing pretty hard when I was riding. When water freezes instantly on your visor, you loose visibility pretty quickly.
    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
    Acta Non Verba

Comment

Hey Fred,

Sorry to hear about your recent drop! I had to ride in fresh snow once, but luckily I have long legs, and so I had instant training wheels, or outriggers so to speak! But I did make it home only to drop it on a patch of black ice in the parking lot!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

well I was doing ok in the slushy parts.....I started hitting bumps and that was all it took took to send the front wheel sideways...not ahope of staying upright.....hats off too the people that do...
        82 XJ1100 Maxim
        80 XS1100 engine and parts doner
        Awsome machine.....love going on rides.....
        black on black

Comment

Yeah TC, Those outriggers really help. I know what you mean. Its bad when you put your feet down and there is no road friction.
          United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
          If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
          "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
          "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
          Acta Non Verba

Comment

Re: snow

Originally posted by Fredjohny
            well being a novice at riding on a snow coverd road...I went down on a straight stretch....what I learned is that when the snow starts flying...you pull over......duh. both turn signals broke.....ugh.picking her up on snow is also something no one needs too know about.....not easy....when will they make chains for us hardcore guys.....
            Well, there are these, but I generally just take my time. I don't have a car, and ride my bikes year round, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, so it is certainly do able. Picking up the bike in the snow does not really get easier. It helps to have good traction on your boots.

For the record, I do NOT have snow claws. If you look, you will notice the do no go around to the sides of the wheels. I also don't have studded tires, which are illegal in Milwaukee. If they are okay by you (Usually if chains are good, then studs are as well), you can either buy studded tires, or get a stud gun and stud out your own.
            I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

Do they make knobbies to fit our bikes?
              Do like the ice racers and use sheetmetal screws from the inside of the tire and run a tube.
              Pat Kelly
              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Continental TKC80s will fit a standard rear 17 rim. The special 16 rear is a little harder, but I remember finding some browsing the catalogue at my Mechanic.

The Continentals are also the stock tire for the BMW 1200GS Adventure, which is also really, really heavy. So the weight is a nonissue. I have 2 sets of rims, so I don't have to change the rubber to adjust my tire. This winter, however, the standard has spend the whole season in the shop, so I don't have anything to say about how the tire did.
                I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

Working...
                X