Straight pipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straight pipes?

Has anyone taken the megaphone mufflers off an XJ1100J Maxim and used extended straight pipes instead? would like to try but not sure about jetting the carbs. Yes the bike will be louder and maybe drown out the HD pipes at the water holes. Most HD pipes are straight around here.
    Should re jetting be needed does anyone have the correct jets that I can buy/try?
    Dell82
    Houston, TX
    82' XJ1100J Maxim "LASERMAX"
    SOLD 86' Kawasaki Voyager XII, 1200cc SOLD
    SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, FOR SALE SOLD
    SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, parts bike SOLD

You may have problems because of the LACK of back pressure. I would think you will need at least one size up in the main jet.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

audijunky's bobber runs straight automotive pipes
      "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
      History
      85 Yamaha FJ 1100
      79 yamaha xs1100f
      03 honda cbr 600 f4
      91 yamaha fzr 600
      84 yamaha fj 1100
      82 yamaha seca 750
      87 yamaha fazer
      86 yamaha maxim x
      82 yamaha vision
      78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

You may have problems because of the LACK of back pressure
        "Washer Mod" can help with back pressure, but would still need re-jet. Sound would be hardly effected.

Newson has a set of Hardley exhausts with out baffels. Pretty loud and says he was able to get it running good after re-jetting.
        Took him more than on try tho...

mro

Comment

I can chime in a little here. I used the jetting guide in the tech tips. I cut the megaphone off about 3 0r 4" back from the foot rest. Went to pep- boys and picked up 2 18" exhaust pipes with a 1 and 3/4 inside diameter. They are a tight fit and I didnt even weld them on for a while. Right now they are just tack welded to hold them on. I have gone up 3 sizes on the main jets and 1 on the pilot. I also have pod filters, and have installed the washer welded to a bolt head in the tailpipe to create tuneable back pressure. Sounds awesome, Definitely a head turner from 5 grand on up. Have fun, and enjoy. I Love it
          "Beware of any man that owns a pig farm"
          "Hence the meaning of the Saying,.. As greedy as a pig"
          79 XS1100 modified standard
          Chain Drive, Monoshock,extendend hand built swingarm, 200 rear
          pod filters,150 mains,45 pilots
          straight pipe 4-2 exhaust
          new to me 05 Kawasaki zxr12r man does she fly
          Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna
          Owned 02 Vstar 650 classic
          owned 85 Honda Shadow VT 700C

Comment

Have a look on my website under tech-stuff for a way of sorting the back pressure problem

Triking - it's a way of life!

www.trikenest.co.uk

Comment

Not sure if back pressure is a problem with a 4 into 1 header. I have been running my MAC 4-1's with no baffle for a good while with no tuning problems. Alittle loud though. But its fun to blip the throttle and scare the little old ladys in the next lane at a stop light.

If your header tubes are equal length and the correct length, good scavenging without loss of back pressure should occur as long as one exhaust pulse is still in the collector when the next one enters, right?
              Mike Giroir
              79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

THANKS fellas for all the good info . Will try out audijunky's idea as I have an extra set of carbs that I can swap out with different jetting for the straight pipe switch. When normal cruising will keep the original setup, noise
                Ps: audijunky do you have a better picture of your bobber. Small pix is not big enough to see the bike
                AGAIN THANKS ALL, will report back on results later in summer.
                Dell82
                Houston, TX
                82' XJ1100J Maxim "LASERMAX"
                SOLD 86' Kawasaki Voyager XII, 1200cc SOLD
                SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, FOR SALE SOLD
                SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, parts bike SOLD

Comment

Working...
                X