frame welding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frame welding

On the new 80G, THe nuts welded to the frame at the rear end to mount the luggage rack and stuff have broken off. They are recesses in the little end cap on the frame tube. That makes them a little hard to get at. Can I weld them back in place and grind off the excess material? With a mig, I think I could tack them on through the hole in the back of the bracket. If I am going to wed on the frame, is there anything I need to unplug, etc? THanks in advance
    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
    Acta Non Verba

I would unplug the brain box and disconnect the negative battery lead if I were welding on the frame.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Andrew,

The frame is mild steel. You might find it easier to weld the nuts to a piece of plate, and then weld that plate to the frame, possibly grinding/cutting out the old section where the nut broke off of, so you can have a larger straight area for applying the plate weld.

Like Skids said, the TCI, battery, might also unplug the Reg/Rect. You might need to sand away some of the paint near the point where you are going to weld to have a good grounding point for the weld clamp, then just repaint afterwards! Try to keep the weld clamp as close to the end of the frame so that hopefully the current will only flow thru that small tail section!? Not sure if undoing the frame/engine ground straps would help?
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

right now the bike is really bare. Most of the electronics are unplugged. It is going to take a while to get the bike loaded and taken down to the school welding shop. After I get this bike going, there is no way that I am going to put the tail trunk back on. The backrest is broken in half and now I found the nuts are broken on both sides. IT is going to be a little difficult to cut and make a plate to put the nuts on. I will try to do whatever I can. Hopefully I will fix it, not make it worse.
        Acta Non Verba

Comment

Bike is on on the utuility trailer. What a pain to get it loaded I had to put the rails (landscape timbers) on and bolt them down. Hopefully my motorcycle trailer will be done soon. Funding issues... I have most of the electical unpluged. I loaded my tools in case I want to disconnect more stuff when I get to school. At least I will be able to show everyone why my pants are always black when I go to school. If my clothes are going to get dirty every day, why wash them right?
          Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
          X