No announcement yet.

I get the idiot of the year award

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Idiot of the Year Award?" I'm not even going to enter. You guys are such amateurs when it comes to screwups. Ah, the stories I could tell. But I won't because then no one will listen to me when I do get something right....

I did once for a while, though, have a two-stroke dirt bike with five reverse gears. And there was the time I overtorqued a screw a bit, stripped it, the left it in there anyway figuring it would be OK. It was for a while. Then my transmission wasn't.

Oh, but I was so much younger then...

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Originally posted by trbig
      YOU with idiot of the year?? Not quite! lol. I recently had a bad popping and backfiring. I figured it was due to a really bad over-rev I had (Was almost redline in third when it clicked into second??) Anyway.. figured a bent valve. I tore the head off and checked the valves. All seemed OK, but a couple did seep just a bit, so I re-lapped them. When messing with it... I found that #3 and 4 carb holders were quite loose... hence my lean popping and backfiring... Oh well. Back together I go.. Try to synch the carbs, but it's running like CRAP. So I think dirty carbs... Back off the bike they come and tore apart and cleaned. I bench synch them... put them back on and.... STILL runs like crap! Next I pull off the side cover over the points and check everything out there... seems OK. I now sit back with a beer (Always helps me think) and think of what it can be... then the light goes on in my head. I know most of you probably have it figured out by now... but the #3 spark plug electrode had gotten mashed down against the tip on installation. A new plug and it purrs like a kitten!

Do I at least get runner up for the title? I have to keep up with my name ya know! lol..

Tod
      Hhehehe... I closed up a plug once, but only after sipping SEVERAL beers while doing a tune-up by campfire light in a campground in AZ. Washed it right after, spent two hours the next morning troubleshooting the skip. LOL

Comment

Working...
      X